Which Watch are you wearing today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torment

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Panerai Luminor Quaranta

Attachments

• IMG_1336.jpeg
    IMG_1336.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I've also gotten a bad taste in my mouth over what seems to be a lot of Rolex owners' need for validation over the brand of timepiece that they wear. All while 90+% couldn't even name the specs, caliber, or reference of their watch. They bought it solely as a status symbol.
Sorry bro but I think disagree with this entire statement, at least from my perspective. I've never met anyone that has a Rolex, that has it just to say they have a Rolex and must validate the ownership except 1 dude. But he's car-watch-house poor and easily distracted with shiny sh*t. It is actually 180 deg out from what you're saying. 90%+ I know that have Rolexes don't act like that. Even some of the suits I work with that have a Rolex have it because they can and they wear them daily.
I wear mine everyday and I'll swap out with a Seiko or something on occasion, but for the most part, I wear it daily in almost any condition. Hunting, gardening, digging holes, fixing fences, laying sod, rocks, whatever.

Referencing not wearing one in front of customers; I don't have customers like that. I wear mine in front of anyone I'm dealing with. If I had a customer base that would assume I'm funding my Rolex habit, I'd be more worried about their ability to pay then some outward appearance.

Now, I have experienced people asking why I have one, or making some statement about it being a rich thing, or "watch-poor" (really had a dude say that) all while showing me their (insert not-a-Rolex watch brand) and telling me it was just as good and they didn't need to spend money on a watch and blahblahblah. But it's not the same. Not even close. It screams "jealous".

I do agree with almost everything @thor447 said, but, the two I have beside being just Rolexes and "money in the bank" as you say, are hands down the best utility and hard use watches I've ever used or owned. period. I think people are afraid to use their watches as intended. I wish I would spent my TDY money on a Rolex instead of guns when I was in. Now I know why dudes would get them.

On another note, I really like the Longines and the Panerai that just popped up. I'm a big fan of those.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry bro but I think disagree with this entire statement, at least from my perspective. I've never met anyone that has a Rolex, that has it just to say they have a Rolex and must validate the ownership except 1 dude. But he's car-watch-house poor and easily distracted with shiny sh*t. It is actually 180 deg out from what you're saying. 90%+ I know that have Rolexes don't act like that. Even some of the suits I work with that have a Rolex have it because they can and they wear them daily.
I wear mine everyday and I'll swap out with a Seiko or something on occasion, but for the most part, I wear it daily in almost any condition. Hunting, gardening, digging holes, fixing fences, laying sod, rocks, whatever.

Referencing not wearing one in front of customers; I don't have customers like that. I wear mine in front of anyone I'm dealing with. If I had a customer base that would assume I'm funding my Rolex habit, I'd be more worried about their ability to pay then some outward appearance.

Now, I have experienced people asking why I have one, or making some statement about it being a rich thing, or "watch-poor" (really had a dude say that) all while showing me their (insert not-a-Rolex watch brand) and telling me it was just as good and they didn't need to spend money on a watch and blahblahblah. But it's not the same. Not even close. It screams "jealous".

I do agree with almost everything @thor447 said, but, the two I have beside being just Rolexes and "money in the bank" as you say, are hands down the best utility and hard use watches I've ever used or owned. period. I think people are afraid to use their watches as intended. I wish I would spent my TDY money on a Rolex instead of guns when I was in. Now I know why dudes would get them.

On another note, I really like the Longines and the Panerai that just popped up. I'm a big fan of those.

Just my personal experience Mike. Too many Rolex owners make damn sure that you're aware of what they wear on their wrist, whereas owners of other luxury watches don't. That type of behavior screams status symbol, not watch enthusiast. I know a few great guys that worked their butts off to own their Rolexes and appreciate the details and history behind the brand. But for every one of those types, there's a handful of others that bought it for the name recognition alone and as an implication to others that they're wealthy (they have it because they can).

Aside from the issues getting a new watch from an AD, a Rolex is not so unattainably priced that the average middle class person wouldn't have the means to purchase one. I guess that I just don't understand the air of arrogance surrounding the brand.

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your misconstrued my post a bit Rick. Too many Rolex owners make damn sure that you're aware of what they wear on their wrist, whereas owners of other luxury watches don't. That type of behavior screams status symbol, not watch enthusiast. I know a few great guys that worked their butts off to own their Rolexes. But for every one of those types, there's a handful of others that bought it for the name recognition alone and as an implication to others that they're wealthy (they have it because they can).

Aside from the issues getting a new watch from an AD, a Rolex is not so unattainably priced that the average middle class person wouldn't have the means to purchase one. I guess that I just don't understand the air of arrogance surrounding the brand.
Rick is someone else.

I'll still have to disagree with your premise. Mainly because I've never seen that or experienced anything like that regarding any watch (exception is the one dude I mentioned). Maybe it's a thing around the City or something but I've never met a Rolex owner that made sure everyone knew he had a Rolex. The only time I've ever experienced any arrogance regarding one was in an AD, but that's a given. They wouldn't make much money if they said their product was just as good as a Seiko or something. I'm just saying.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rick is someone else.

I'll still have to disagree with your premise. Mainly because I've never seen that or experienced anything like that regarding any watch (exception is the one dude I mentioned). Maybe it's a thing around the City or something but I've never met a Rolex owner that made sure everyone knew he had a Rolex. The only time I've ever experienced any arrogance regarding one was in an AD, but that's a given. They wouldn't make much money if they said their product was just as good as a Seiko or something. I'm just saying.

Sorry Mike, I was editing my post when you replied. Not sure why, but I thought that @Mr.Glock had quoted me. Again, this is just my personal experience and the reason that I have mixed feelings about the brand.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Mike, I was editing my post when you replied. Not sure why, but I thought that @Mr.Glock had quoted me. Again, this is just my personal experience and the reason that I have mixed feelings about the brand.
Made me laugh. I think your feelings about the brand may be misdirected...I'd have mixed feeling about those people if I met them. But I get it.
I'll add that if I met folks like that, then it would be a GFY thing. I just haven't really yet, or haven't noticed them.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many Rolex owners make damn sure that you're aware of what they wear on their wrist, whereas owners of other luxury watches don't. That type of behavior screams status symbol, not watch enthusiast.
Just curious, but how many of those type actually have a real Rolex and not a fake? I've met a few that who wore it in a way they made sure you knew, but couldn't tell you squat about it.

The few friends I have that own them, know more about it than I do and I'm a watch junkie. Kidna like a dude and his hotrod.

Latest posts

Top Bottom