Why do people pick specific calibers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are right on this one! We think alike.

One Caliber, fits every pistol "all same mfg", every magazine. Pistols. 9mm.
One Caliber, fits every rifle, "different mfg's", every magazine. Rifles 223/556.
One Caliber, fits every shotgun, "different mfg's", Shotguns 12 gauge.
One Caliber, fits every rifle, "different mfg's", 22 long rifle.
One Caliber, fits every rifle, "same mfg's". 30-30

That is all.

Rick, you only buy one manufacturer of handgun ammo? Can you tell us what brought you to that decision? I've not had great luck with UMC in my wife's Smith 9mm, but I recently cleaned the crud out and am going to try it again... that's the only brand-specific problem I can remember running into (that damn Walther P22 aside!! lol).

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rick, you only buy one manufacturer of handgun ammo? Can you tell us what brought you to that decision? I've not had great luck with UMC in my wife's Smith 9mm, but I recently cleaned the crud out and am going to try it again... that's the only brand-specific problem I can remember running into (that damn Walther P22 aside!! lol).

I think he is saying that all his pistols are the same manufacturer. ie Glocks.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ooooohhhh and here I was focusing on ammunition. lol. Firearm manufacturers (I wonder which pistols he likes? <snicker>) never crossed my mind. lol

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I think he is saying that all his pistols are the same manufacturer. ie Glocks.

Same Pistols. I want weapons that will shoot anything you fill em up with. So far I have had good luck with Glocks, AR's, Shotguns, Marlin 30-30's, and the real old 'mostly before 1960" 22 semi and bolt action rifles. Keep it simple is what I like.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a G30...45 why?..
The local PD/FD carry G21's... same cal , mags interchange...
I have a G23 with 19/40 barrells
I also have a M&p45,,,an M&P 40 with the 357sig barrell
223/556 rifles...cause everyone has them
12 guage, theyre pretty interchangable
7.62x39, again popular
7.62x54r...gotta have a mosin
38/357 revos...again popular
22 rifles and pistols....but it costses a Fortune to shoot those

This brings me to tha airsofts/bb guns
M&p40 look alike , blowback action...great for practice..475 fps
"the whisper"...Great squirrell gun, and quiet (cats dont like it either, sorry animal lovers , they keep digging up my flowers,....MY flowers...LOL)

Reloading is a great idea, havent caught up with the initial cost ..Yet...8/

OH, I got the boat cleaned up and test run, so I'll probably hit a lake this afternoon

Oh and I ended up with a "boatload " of 7mm,6.5, 300WM, and some 30-06, 30-30??
Good reason to get a new rifle or 2??... ;)
So I guess calibre consolidation...isnt for me....Good Luck on your consumables

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
22lr, 22 hornet, 223 (one shoots light bullets and one I'm building will shoot heavies), 30/40 Krag, 303 Brit, 30/06 for garand and other stuff for bolt actions, 300win mag was a gift, 45/70, 38spl, 41 mag, 45acp, 45 colt I think that's it. 12, 20, and 410 shotguns.

Some was the because of dad thing and keep quite a bit of loaded ammo and supplies around. 38, 41, 30/06, and 12g. Others is cause the caliber or firearm interested me.

I reload for all but the shotgun stuff but working on that

Sent via message in a bottle

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good story about what caused a cop to switch from .45 to 9mm.

http://www.policeone.com/patrol-iss...ne-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

14 rounds of .45 with 6 to vital areas was not enough "stopping power" to end the fight. Sure the guy was going to bleed out but he was still very much capable of taking the cop out with him. It was until he slowed down and got CNS hits that the fight ended.

I also remember a story where a perp received 22 hits of .40 and still didn't go down. Don't think either case involved drug crazed perps either.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only calibers anyone ever needs are:
9mm
38 special
22lr
22 magnum
357 magnum
45 acp
10mm
380 acp
30-30
44 magnum
7.62x39
30-06
12 gauge
20 gauge
410 gauge
and possibly 300 win mag

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand all of this except "splits". Explain, please?

Time between shots...shot-to-shot time. I can fire 9's faster on target vs. .40 on the same number of shots. Generally this is due to lower recoil, but can be affected by other factors as well such as bore axis, bullet weight, power factor, grip angle, trigger weight, etc. For example, I generally can run 9x19 in .2-.25 seconds between quick shots. .40 is closer to .3-.35. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom