Why do you show your CWL?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. I always pull over, turn the car off and place both hands on the steering wheel. I know if I show respect and make the officers job easier, he will be polite back. When he asks for my DL, I always inform him that it's in my back pocket and if I could reach back there and get it or wherever it might be. You would not catch me with my DL and CCW license hanging out the window waiting on him, I think that's rude. Just wait until he approaches my window and then just simply tell him that Im armed and I have a license. If he asks to see it, great, if not that's fine too.

I do something similar, but I do all of my (probably suspicious) pocketing and glove box digging for ID & insurance verification preferably before the officer even gets out of his car. I want my car off, hands on steering wheel, windows down, interior light on, all papers present by the time the officer gets to my window. I do this for my safety and officer comfort. To me this isn't rude, but then again I am showing preparedness, not impatience which I think you were implying.

I can imagine that your method may provide more opportunity for the officer to allow you to go on your way as it is more risky and for the officer to allow you to reach for your DL, especially after informing him of legally carrying a concealed weapon :-)

To me, it does increase your risk anytime you have to reach for anything in front of an officer that cannot see your hands. I have empathy for an officer doing a routine traffic stop, especially at night, or with multiple passengers in the car. There is not a lot of difference between upstanding citizen and cop killing gang banger as your walk up to their car.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do something similar, but I do all of my (probably suspicious) pocketing and glove box digging for ID & insurance verification preferably before the officer even gets out of his car. I want my car off, hands on steering wheel, windows down, interior light on, all papers present by the time the officer gets to my window. I do this for my safety and officer comfort. To me this isn't rude, but then again I am showing preparedness, not impatience which I think you were implying.

I can imagine that your method may provide more opportunity for the officer to allow you to go on your way as it is more risky and for the officer to allow you to reach for your DL, especially after informing him of legally carrying a concealed weapon :-)

To me, it does increase your risk anytime you have to reach for anything in front of an officer that cannot see your hands. I have empathy for an officer doing a routine traffic stop, especially at night, or with multiple passengers in the car. There is not a lot of difference between upstanding citizen and cop killing gang banger as your walk up to their car.

I don't know. The officer is watching your car from the time he/she stops you until he/she is there at your window. Yeah, I'm sure that him/her sitting there calling in your plate and watching you moving around and reaching for things is very comforting to him/her, sure. For all he/she knows you are hiding drugs or reaching for a gun. I prefer to do all my digging in front of him/her. Never had an issue. We all have our ways.

So because I carry a weapon legally, I should not be trusted?? Am I reading that wrong again?

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know. The officer is watching your car from the time he stops you until he is there at your window. Yeah, I'm sure that him/her sitting there calling in your plate and watching you moving around and reaching for things is very comforting to him/her, sure. For all he/she knows you are hiding drugs or a gun. I prefer to do all my digging in front of him/her. Never had an issue. We all have our ways.

Let me restate...

Digging my documents our prior to an officer arriving at my vehicle reduces my risk of the officer mistakenly thinking that I was reaching for a weapon and getting shot because of it. I.e. it reduces the risk to my life.

I believe you are correct, that too much shuffling in the front seat could appear to be "suspicious" behavior and could subject me to additional attention and may even provide probable cause(?) for a search.

Another potential issue, in the process of getting my DL out, I usually take off my seat belt. One time, the officer did not observe me removing my seat belt, but he did observe that I was not wearing one when he arrived at my vehicle. So he says something about it and I informed him that I removed it to access my wallet. He accepted the explanation and moved on. He could have issued my a ticket for a seat belt violation that would not be worth fighting.

Your methods may very well reduce the risk to my wallet. I may consider it next time I am stopped (most likely for speeding).

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So because I carry a weapon legally, I should not be trusted?? Am I reading that wrong again?

Maybe, I am just saying that anytime someone reaches where the officer can't see it could be potentially endangering his life. Any weapon makes it more dangerous.

If you have presented your self as a good citizen (safe and polite) then the officer is more likely to let you slide especially if he has to further endanger his life by asking you to reach for your DL.

If you have presented your self as a armed felony-free good citizen (safe and polite, identify legal CCW) then the officer may be even more likely to let you slide especially if he has to further endanger his life by asking you to reach for your DL when he knows you have a weapon.

For me, I just make it too easy and I am getting a ticket :-)

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i always figured it was better to hand him the card with my drivers license than to blurt out I've got a gun

I can definitely see your point. It would be nice if the law specifically indicated that the presentation of the CWL was suitable notification.

First of all it just sounds bad, especially if you are stressed (such as being detained, pulled over, arrested by the police). Exactly what is the distinctions between:
"I'VE GOT A GUN!" - as a legally required notification to the police
"I'VE GOT A GUN!" - as a threat to a police officer

Second, it also informs any passengers and bystanders that there is a weapon present. If presentation of the CWL was entirely suitable, it would keep the presence of a concealed weapon, concealed unless the officer chooses to make it known.

Hmmm, I wonder if a round about approach would work. Hand officer CWL, "I have one of those things that this here license allows me to have.".

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me restate...

Digging my documents our prior to an officer arriving at my vehicle reduces my risk of the officer mistakenly thinking that I was reaching for a weapon and getting shot because of it. I.e. it reduces the risk to my life.

I believe you are correct, that too much shuffling in the front seat could appear to be "suspicious" behavior and could subject me to additional attention and may even provide probable cause(?) for a search.

Another potential issue, in the process of getting my DL out, I usually take off my seat belt. One time, the officer did not observe me removing my seat belt, but he did observe that I was not wearing one when he arrived at my vehicle. So he says something about it and I informed him that I removed it to access my wallet. He accepted the explanation and moved on. He could have issued my a ticket for a seat belt violation that would not be worth fighting.

Your methods may very well reduce the risk to my wallet. I may consider it next time I am stopped (most likely for speeding).

As an LEO, I don't like to see an unknown contact fishing for anything when they're pulled over. If you have your insurance verification clipped to your visor, or immediately within reach in the center console without making any noticeable movement, that's one thing. Reaching into a glove box before the officer can see what you're reaching for is another. He's already on heightened alert before he reaches the car if you do.

You're required to notify you're carrying upon initial contact with the officer, but you must then present your SDA permit (license) upon request. The officer has a reasonable expectation to see it to determine if you're carrying legally or not. Some will ask for it, some will not. It's officer discretion at that point. Handing your SDA pemit to the officer (on top of your DL) is a way to effect the notification and if the officer plays along, may keep others within earshot unaware that you're carrying.

Hope this helps.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can definitely see your point. It would be nice if the law specifically indicated that the presentation of the CWL was suitable notification.

First of all it just sounds bad, especially if you are stressed (such as being detained, pulled over, arrested by the police). Exactly what is the distinctions between:
"I'VE GOT A GUN!" - as a legally required notification to the police
"I'VE GOT A GUN!" - as a threat to a police officer

Second, it also informs any passengers and bystanders that there is a weapon present. If presentation of the CWL was entirely suitable, it would keep the presence of a concealed weapon, concealed unless the officer chooses to make it known.

Hmmm, I wonder if a round about approach would work. Hand officer CWL, "I have one of those things that this here license allows me to have.".

I would not say I've got a gun, who does that? I would just say, I am licensed to conceal carry and I am armed or something along those lines.

Latest posts

Top Bottom