Why do you show your CWL?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There have been a few times I have been pulled over and "lied" that "no I don't have a gun"

What if after you said that, few seconds later the officer changed his mind and said, I need you to step out so I can do a search. Now you lied and interfered with his job, now you have a bigger problem. I always tell them the truth, I don't see how that interferes with their safety. Im a good guy and if I get pulled over, it's always for speeding. I don't do anything else that would cause a police officer to pull me over for. I always make sure my lights and every thing works on my car, I don't have things obstructing my view, don't have 500 lbs of boom boom in my trunk. Like I said, Im a good guy with slight hunger for speed. Every time I get stopped by OHP, they always make me get out and go to their car, for safety purposes I guess. I don' think it would be wise to lie at this point. Just how I do things, never had an officer act any different because of it. I trained and acquired my license, Im allowed to carry, why would he care. I think lying to him does put his safety in jeopardy and that is the last thing I want to do to an officer. He has enough crap to deal with, I will not add to it. I sign the ticket and tell them to have a good day. I have a lot of respect for officers and what they do.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After talking to three officers about this subject, and what then believe you should do per the law and what they would like to see:

From the officers-

#1)don't do digging around in your car. makes them real nervous. they want to go home after their shift. sit up, place your hands on your steering wheel.

#2) 1st thing, inform officer you have the gun AND WAIT FOR THEIR INSTRUCTIONS. This puts them in charge and as long as you follow instructions both of you are on the same page.

got stopped the other day, officer came up. 1st thing I said was I have a ccl and ccw. he asked where the gun was, i said 'under my seat'. he then wanted to look at DL and CCL which i took out of billfold. Then he asked for my registration. I immediately reached for the glove box and opened it. I could feel the officer take a step back and moan. point is i reached so fast it scared him. next time i am going to tell him where i am reaching and let him digest it before i open that glove box.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I've said it before, my process is this, and I've never had an officer tell me to do different.

1. Flashing lights, pull over, stop car, roll down window.

2. Sit still, hands on steering wheel.

3. Let officer ask for DL & Insurance.

4. "Yes sir, I also have my concealed carry license, and am currently carrying."

5. So far, every officer has asked "Where is it?" In some form or other.

6. TELL the officer where, don't point, don't reach for it. SAY where it is. Usually the response for me is "Right hip."

7. Either the officer asks where DL, CHL, & Ins are, or I say where they are. Officer has always (with one exception), told me to get them.

8. SLOWLY, reach for the items, SLOWLY, retrieve them, and SLOWLY hand them to the officer. (Getting the point here? Don't give any cause for alarm.)

9. Do whatever the officer tells you to.

Unfortunately I seem to be some kind of cop magnet, and have gone through this at least a dozen times so far.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've said it before, my process is this, and I've never had an officer tell me to do different.

1. Flashing lights, pull over, stop car, roll down window.

2. Sit still, hands on steering wheel.

3. Let officer ask for DL & Insurance.

4. "Yes sir, I also have my concealed carry license, and am currently carrying."

5. So far, every officer has asked "Where is it?" In some form or other.

6. TELL the officer where, don't point, don't reach for it. SAY where it is. Usually the response for me is "Right hip."

7. Either the officer asks where DL, CHL, & Ins are, or I say where they are. Officer has always (with one exception), told me to get them.

8. SLOWLY, reach for the items, SLOWLY, retrieve them, and SLOWLY hand them to the officer. (Getting the point here? Don't give any cause for alarm.)

9. Do whatever the officer tells you to.

Unfortunately I seem to be some kind of cop magnet, and have gone through this at least a dozen times so far.

I've always done it the same way. The only difference is that every time i tell them i'm packing, not one time have they asked to see my CCL. I've only been in contact with an officer four times since i've been carrying, but it's still 4 out of 4. Just strikes me as weird...

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As an LEO, I don't like to see an unknown contact fishing for anything when they're pulled over. If you have your insurance verification clipped to your visor, or immediately within reach in the center console without making any noticeable movement, that's one thing. Reaching into a glove box before the officer can see what you're reaching for is another. He's already on heightened alert before he reaches the car if you do.

You're required to notify you're carrying upon initial contact with the officer, but you must then present your SDA permit (license) upon request. The officer has a reasonable expectation to see it to determine if you're carrying legally or not. Some will ask for it, some will not. It's officer discretion at that point. Handing your SDA pemit to the officer (on top of your DL) is a way to effect the notification and if the officer plays along, may keep others within earshot unaware that you're carrying.

Hope this helps.

I got chastised by an LEO in Vinita for doing exactly that.

When he approached the vehicle I handed him my CCL and drivers licence. He then asked me if I was carrying. I told him I was and were the weapon was. I apologized & told him I thought that it was implied when I handed him my card. He proceeded to chew my ass. He let me know beyond a shadow of a doubt that me handing him my CCL was not informing him I was carrying.

So now, I hand them the card and promptly tell them that I am carrying and where the weapon is located. Better safe then sorry.

mfranco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was pulled over while on the way to work for a headlight that had gone out. I showed both my CLEET and CCW licenses. The officer almost immediately handed everything back and said "have a nice day, get the headlight fixed". He new i was law abiding because of the license. So, who knows, it could save you a ticket.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was pulled over while on the way to work for a headlight that had gone out. I showed both my CLEET and CCW licenses. The officer almost immediately handed everything back and said "have a nice day, get the headlight fixed". He new i was law abiding because of the license. So, who knows, it could save you a ticket.

Small stuff like that, yes, speeding and more serious offenses, no.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Handing your SDA pemit to the officer (on top of your DL) is a way to effect the notification and if the officer plays along, may keep others within earshot unaware that you're carrying.

I got chastised by an LEO in Vinita for doing exactly that.

When he approached the vehicle I handed him my CCL and drivers licence. He then asked me if I was carrying. I told him I was and were the weapon was. I apologized & told him I thought that it was implied when I handed him my card. He proceeded to chew my ass. He let me know beyond a shadow of a doubt that me handing him my CCL was not informing him I was carrying.

So now, I hand them the card and promptly tell them that I am carrying and where the weapon is located. Better safe then sorry.

This is interesting. When I took my CCL class, one of the situations they cited as an example would be riding in a car with others that you may not want to know you're carrying. Per the instructors, you can generally ask the officer to come over to your window (if you're a passenger, as an example), politely hand him or her your license and say something subtle like "I wanted to be sure I showed you this, ma'am/sir" or something similar.

I realize mileage will vary from LEO to LEO, but its neat to see it from the officer's perspective, etc. Thanks Jerry!

Latest posts

Top Bottom