Why is the NRA not leaping into action?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racing1g

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know how some of you guys feel about the NRA and I fully understand but there is no denying how much they do help protect our freedoms. I just can't understand why they would be quite for so long so I wrote them and asked why. I know it won't make a bit of difference but I just felt like voicing my opinion to someone there and this is what I wrote.

Hello, my name is Shawn Gartrell. I happen to be a gun enthusiast and FFL holder and I have some concerns due to your recent lack of action of behalf of the gun owners of America. I understand being quite in respect to the children murdered in the horrific act in Connecticut but you have been quite for WAY to long. Our freedoms are in jeopardy and we as gun owners are currently being ostracized and demonized by the media with no national voice to protect us. I have been a long time NRA member and have valued everything you have done to protect and restore our Second Amendment rights, but I have concerns that the NRA does not think they can win this battle therefore you have chosen to sit on the sidelines. We as a freedom loving community need to stand up and be the voice of reason and not allow the anti-gun and Second Amendment mob use this tragedy to strip us of our God given rights. I cannot fathom why the NRA would stay mum for so long, the mainstream media is using your silence against us and we need to push back. Please don't abandon us and leave us to fend for ourselves against the anti-gun wolves, we need a strong unified voice and the NRA is our microphone national stage. We need to stand together and now is more important as ever!

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In such a desperate time as this, I think a well-thought out, measured response is of far more value than a knee-jerk reaction. Remember, much of the early reporting on this event was wrong (e.g., Nancy Lanza was a teacher at the school, Ryan Lanza initially identified as the shooter, and so on), so I think that it is reasonable and proper for the NRA to wait and deliver a response when more of the facts of the matter are known. Beyond that, many of the anti-gun forces in this country think the NRA is the devil's advocate anyway, so it needs to be very careful about issuing a statement, especially when all the facts are not yet clearly known.

racing1g

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand how important a well thought out response is. The problem I have with it is they haven't said one word on the matter, all the while the idiotic media runs rampant getting everyone worked into a gun banning frenzy.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand how important a well thought out response is. The problem I have with it is they haven't said one word on the matter, all the while the idiotic media runs rampant getting everyone worked into a gun banning frenzy.

The people who are prone to getting worked up in a frenzy over this aren't inclined to listen to press releases from the NRA...anymore then we listen to and are swayed by press releases from the Brady Campaign. With the hypocrisy of the media, they run more risk of being accused of playing politics right now (it doesn't work both ways...the Brady Campaign gets a pass).

There is no legislation on the table, this session of Congress is about to expire and they are wrapped up in fiscal cliff B.S. There is nothing they can fight right now. But I bet they are building the war chest and strategizing.....

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sometimes it's better to be thought a fool and be silent, than to speak up and be proven a fool. The media is doing a good job of speaking loud and often and having to correct what they just said, just because they need to fill air time. The NRA could have stepped up to a microphone and given away free kittens and the media would have jumped them as blood mongers. High emotions are running rampant and need to calm down, before a real and true solution can be thought thru.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anything the NRA says will be labeled as craven and depraved in the light of 20 dead children. Anything they don't say will be examined as well. It's a no win situation. I appreciate them having a little class and at least waiting till the funerals are done before politicizing this tragedy. Too bad the anti's couldn't even wait for the last victim to die before they started in. :(

http://news.yahoo.com/nra-goes-silent-connecticut-school-shooting-080658189.html

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NRA breaks silence on ‘horrific and senseless’ Newtown massacre

[The National Rifle Association on Tuesday broke its silence on last Friday's mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., denouncing the "horrific and senseless murders" and vowing to "help make sure this never happens again."

Facing a fierce push for new restrictions on gun ownership in the tragedy’s aftermath, the group said it would hold "a major news conference" in Washington on Friday. It did not elaborate....]

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Latest posts

Top Bottom