Why on earth do we tip at restaurants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis did she actually give you poor customer service (prior to her lapse of judgment)? If she was actually following company procedure I don't think your poor tip should have been directed towards her, perhaps speaking to a manger in this case would have been a better solution.

It doesn't make any difference. She made the statement of "policy" because she was a lazy biatch, and her chicago attitude prior to this incident justified the stiffing.

As you read, I'm a heavy tipper even for mediocre service, so you have to understand that the service was so poor the penny tip was warrented.

I don't regret it a bit, and after we told the bartender what had transpired, he agreed with our decision.

I suspect it wasn't her first "issue" with a customer after the bartender was in our corner.

My only regret in that situation was that I didn't go back upstairs and offer her the penny one more time.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahomabassin even though I don't tip all the time i do tip most of the time, about 85% of the time I dine out. I never said I disliked the practice of tipping I merely spoke on me feeling obligated or not to do so. I'm sure that you do understand that not being wholly in agreement with something doesn't directly mean negativity towards that issue.

I would never give a server the type of treatment described by dennishoddy because like I said before its a tough job and I have no interest in showing someone up. If it was that terrible tell the manager and keep things moving.

You take no issue with how hoddy handled that situation I see?
I was trying to understand where you come from first and why you believe a server, serving a customer is of the entitlement mentality for expecting gratuity for a job well done.

However, I have personally dined with Dennis and have no reason to believe he would stiff a server unless the service wasn't worthy of gratuity. He didn't treat the server badly, he moved to a different table shortly after arrival. It was then server became huffy.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't make any difference. She made the statement of "policy" because she was a lazy biatch, and her chicago attitude prior to this incident justified the stiffing.

As you read, I'm a heavy tipper even for mediocre service, so you have to understand that the service was so poor the penny tip was warrented.

I don't regret it a bit, and after we told the bartender what had transpired, he agreed with our decision.

I suspect it wasn't her first "issue" with a customer after the bartender was in our corner.

My only regret in that situation was that I didn't go back upstairs and offer her the penny one more time.

I missed the part where you said she gave you poor service prior to the penny throwing incident.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try this:

"I had to attend a training session in chicago several years ago. Went with one of the other attendees to the "million dollar bar" that Al Capone built back in the day.

We informed the waitress that we were on seperate expense accounts and needed seperate bills. She told us that was not possible, as the restaurant policy was one bill per table. When she left to get our drinks, I moved to an adjacent table so I wouldn't violate "policy". She gave us a lot of attitude"

If that were the policy of the restaurant, (and most restaurants/wait staff know that people on expense accounts must present receipts to get reimbursments,) We then complied with the restaurant policy, by moving to seperate adjacent tables where we were not in violation of the "policy".

We got no refils on our drinks, no return to see if our food was good, no friendly attitute, abiet a sullen attitude when she came with our seperate bills.

Tell me what your would do?

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Evidenced by post #97 dennis I skimmed your post initially and missed where she had provided poor service prior to tipping and throwing the penny. That post also answers your question as well.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, to properly display a persons dislike of really poor service, is to leave a penny. Not leaving a tip at all will leave the wait staff wondering if the tip was just forgotten.

I had to attend a training session in chicago several years ago. Went with one of the other attendees to the "million dollar bar" that Al Capone built back in the day.

We informed the waitress that we were on seperate expense accounts and needed seperate bills. She told us that was not possible, as the restaurant policy was one bill per table. When she left to get our drinks, I moved to an adjacent table so I wouldn't violate "policy". She gave us a lot of attitude, and the service was so poor, that we left a penny.
Went down stairs to the actual bar, and she came down shortly afterward, threw the penny at us, yelled some curse words, and left.

So I'm figuring we made our point.

BTW, I'm a pretty heavy tipper even with average service. Our Neice worked as wait staff at a sports bar, and the story's we heard about customers and their antics, made me not to ever want to work in that profession.

Actually that's incorrect going by over 20 years of front of the house service experience, most don't believe that "they forgot"...... they know that 99 times out of a 100, something went wrong if they got stiffed. Leaving a penny is a douchey passive aggressive move IMO that only incites anger and the point is lost. See your example, you made no point..... you just pissed her off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom