Why on earth do we tip at restaurants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of good and bad points on this thread. I generally tip double the tax on the total bill. Sometimes a bunch more but rarely much less. As to the folks who say that restaurants should pay a living wage well I for one couldn't really call living on what minimum wage is. Even at 70 hrs a week after Uncle Sam and nanny state take their cut there really isn't much left. And yes I usually tip the cook staff personally. Eating out is a luxury not a convince even though it may seem like it. If you can't afford to tip or are to tight to do so then eat fast food or brown bag it. My mom was a good waitress for quite a few years and watching her and the amount of tips she would bring in it seems most folks seem to feel the same way. She would however on occasion talk about how someone/ group wouldn't tip but she made real good money off tips. She worked first shift at a popular breakfast hangout locally. At the time late 90's she made 2.35 an hour plus tips which where taxed. It thankfully wasn't our families only income but it was enough. I could never do a food service type job because I tend to tell rude people exactly what I think and I just don't like most people most of the time. So I just tip generously when I do eat out at a sit down restaurant or any place that has a tip jar by the register. Because those folks usually serve me with a smile. And I really don't like the taste of spit or anything else that not tipping could get you on a subsequent trip to same restaurant.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They didn't say minimum wage, they said living wage. There's a difference.

http://livingwage.mit.edu/places/4002755000

The restaurant in the OP probably pays more than a living wage. Just a guess.

I'd wager they get significantly more than $8 an hour too, there's no way they could keep the servers happy otherwise. I'll bet something is compromised though, such as less servers on the floor at any given time or the price of sushi is higher than others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call me what you want but I dont feel obligated to tip and I dont tip every time I eat out. I never tip with my credit card because I dont have faith that the server will actually get the $. If I have two or three dollars in my wallet (I dont typically carry too much cash at all) I dont mind laying it down but I dont feel its my responsibility to make a servers time worth it either. If they feel they are worth more $ than what they are making then they can go provide skills to the community that would bring them a better wage. I know they have a tough job but so does much of the world. flame on......

My daughter waited tables in Norman last school year. Hopefully if you stiffed her, you weren't a jerk also.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless they post a sign that says "Tipping Mandatory" I'll continue to dine out and not tip. After all concealed is concealed. Isn't that how the saying goes???

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter waited tables in Norman last school year. Hopefully if you stiffed her, you weren't a jerk also.

Do you want a thumbs up for a baseless comment?

My opinion on the issue has nothing to do with my attitude towards any server. Not feeling obligated to tip doesnt correlate to choosing not to tip. I posted that I probably tip somewhere around 85% the time, when I dont tip its almost always because I happened to not have cash on me. Obviously its a bit hard for you guys to comprehend that I can still tip but not actually fully agree with the practice of doing so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom