Why on earth do we tip at restaurants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quick if we all stop tipping maybe the practice will die and it won't be expected of us going into a glorious future where eating out costs a fair percentage less.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd wager they get significantly more than $8 an hour too, there's no way they could keep the servers happy otherwise. I'll bet something is compromised though, such as less servers on the floor at any given time or the price of sushi is higher than others.

I doubt that much has changed. It really isn't the end of the world to pay people real wages.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless they post a sign that says "Tipping Mandatory" I'll continue to dine out and not tip. After all concealed is concealed. Isn't that how the saying goes???

i188.photobucket.com_albums_z80_NSJUST_SOME_DUDE_donttip_zps450996d5.jpg

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was raised by parents who traveled and ate out alot so I pretty much learned who to tip and who I didnt have to tip most anywhere in the world at any early age by watching my father tip people. Now as an adult I travel and eat out alot and I do tip, but accordingly. Restaurants I will tip 20% or over most times for great service when I get it male or female and I will still tip at least 10% for bad service. My wife is subjective with her tipping. I see her tipping young good looking men and older women much better than younger hotter women. Doh, I understand why too. Myself though I try not to base my tip on a persons sex or appearance, only what they do for me extra and above, no matter where I am. I have lived with a few strippers so I know to stay totally the hell away from those businesses and do unless I am with a group party or with business friends- and then Im the cheap basturd who nurses a few beers and gets my friends to buy my lapdances. That business is only about tipping, it is their bread and butter. So to speak.

Most other service industries I know who to tip and who not to. Owners of a business I usually wont tip but their employees I will, but that is only according to what industry it is. My mechanic? Yes, doesnt matter that he owns the place like mine does, because if I have to go to him its only because he will be doing something that was above my own expertise or he has certain equipment for the job that I dont. He has usually saved my life on a repair so its worth adding a few bucks to the bill because to me I feel like he will throw me a bone at some point later down the line and do something for me without charging- and sure enough he has many times. My lawyer, hell no.

Friends that I have who are self employed in their own businesses I also will always ask them to charge me as if I am not their friend. I will charge them full price when they do business with me in my businesses so I dont expect my friends to cut their rates just because we're friends and I never expect them to. My friend Gregg is a plumber and when he comes to my house to do something for me he has to get his hands dirty on a fix and even though most of the time I am helping him I still pay him his regular rate. His tip though will most likely be a beer or soda though instead of cash. We're friends, I dont mind paying him full rate for a service but damn if I am gonna tip him.

Why we tip certain people and not other people I do not know. It is what it is.

With that said, as a former tattoo artist/piercer who worked for someone in their shop in my beginnings but now I am a co-owner of 2 shops myself there is widespread tipping in our industry just as in other businesses that provide a service. Myself I never looked for it or expected it when I was just an employee because I was already making a really good amount of money from them, even if things were slow I didnt expect it because thats just a part of the business we're in. When I went out on my own as a shop owner I really didnt expect it and sometimes would refuse it if I felt the customer couldnt afford it after already paying me good money for their art. The best tippers and most times the only tippers in our business though are usually our regular repeat clientele, and it aint always money- Ive recieved food, drink, smoke, pets, tires, offers of the carnal variety, etc, from people.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom