Wind farm problems.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What many people forget is that wind power has been around almost as long as coal fired plants. Many places 75 to 100 years ago had no power lines run so farmers, etc built their own wind powered generators. It was better than nothing but as soon as there was reliable energy, wind power was replaced.

My favorite "green energy" news is how the greenie weenies are all praising China for it's green energy programs, building more wind and solar than the USA. Funny thing is they are also building a whole lot of coal fired plants because wind and solar are not 24/7 reliable on a large scale.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somehow I think the windmill platforms are a minuscule amount of the concrete we pour every year .......

That is true but it does make wind power a lot less "green" than claimed and the piece says nothing about all the endangered birds killed every year by wind farms..

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is true but it does make wind power a lot less "green" than claimed and the piece says nothing about all the endangered birds killed every year by wind farms..
None of the new green technologies are better than what we have, electric cars as an example the “CO2” footprint for all the battery producers, energy made to charge such batteries, are slightly more than what a current gas powered car produces. It’s a joke

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LMAO... but the animals, don't risk the animals! I've heard that one before on a much different forum.

There is a reason they are known as the "cuisinart of the sky" We are talking the big commercial ones. I have not heard anything about the home models.

Did you hear about the big solar plant they built in the NV desert? The one with all the mirrors reflecting the sun light onto a steam powered generator. Supposedly you can pick up all kinds of flash fried birds and bugs on a sunny day because the focused light is so intense. One reporter talked about seeing smoking birds and bugs fall from the sky when they flew into the beams.

"In April 2015 the Wall Street Journal reported that "biologists working for the state estimated that 3,500 birds died at Ivanpah in the span of a year, many of them burned alive while flying through a part of the solar installment where air temperatures can reach 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit [540 °C]""

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was up in Renfrow yesterday and was talking to a man who was pretty savy on the topic and it boils down to gubbermint subsidies..
Otherwise their a losing venture.. Most of the parts are foreign.. He brought up gear box oil SO heavy is has to be heated to work, bearings that aren't lasting yada yada.. Losing $$

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a reason they are known as the "cuisinart of the sky" We are talking the big commercial ones. I have not heard anything about the home models.

Did you hear about the big solar plant they built in the NV desert? The one with all the mirrors reflecting the sun light onto a steam powered generator. Supposedly you can pick up all kinds of flash fried birds and bugs on a sunny day because the focused light is so intense. One reporter talked about seeing smoking birds and bugs fall from the sky when they flew into the beams.

"In April 2015 the Wall Street Journal reported that "biologists working for the state estimated that 3,500 birds died at Ivanpah in the span of a year, many of them burned alive while flying through a part of the solar installment where air temperatures can reach 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit [540 °C]""
The L.A. Times says solar power kills 6,000 birds a year. Not that many birds. Nobody cares except tree huggers like you, Rick.
As for the windmills: I don't give a diddly damn how many birds they kill. I care about the cancer they cause, Rick. The Cancer!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My dad sent me this a couple years ago. It’s a cool video but I’ve never been on board with the windmill thing. Just a couple thoughts, I had a place to hunt near binger, the windmill on the next quarter made such a heavy ‘whoosh’ , I couldn’t stand to be there. My neighbor retired and started a pilot truck company. The pilot guys and the truck drivers will stand around and joke about them being the only ones making money.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a reason they are known as the "cuisinart of the sky" We are talking the big commercial ones.

No doubt, but it'd be a little hypocritical to cite bird and bugs deaths to sway an argument back towards oil, gas, and coal considering their human safety and ecological records. All the same, that terrible oil & gas history is also something that shouldn't be used against itself. The furthering of mankind is built on the tragedies of man. Imagine if they threw in the towel on reaching the moon when the Apollo 1 crew died in the rack at Cape Canaveral.

Latest posts

Top Bottom