Without using any search engine, What was the name of the third atomic bomb?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Flying Heritage and Combat Armor Museum, Located in Everett Washington (on Paine Field), had full scale detailed replicas of both Fat Man and Little Boy. Unfortunately the museum is now closed. Paul Allen (Co-Founder of Microsoft) was the main funding source for the museum. When Paul Allen passed away ( he was not married , and had no children), his sister became in charge of all his assets. It appears she doe not have the same enthusiasm for the museum or philanthropy as her brother did.

https://flyingheritage.org/Explore/FHCAM-Story.aspx
https://flyingheritage.org/Explore/Why-War-Exhibit.aspx

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bomb Number:

1) Alamagordo, NM - "The Gadget" test, Implosion Device, Plutonium Core thought it may not work so test first
2) Hiroshima Japan, Little Boy, they were "sure" it would detonate, uranium 235 gun type device
3) Nagasaki Japan, Fat Man, Implosion device Plutonium Core...

After that we have had over 500 Above Ground Nuclear Tests which caused a period of global cooling. Guess what, we are all still here.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if they still do, but they used to have scale models of Fat Man and Little Boy at Los Alamos National Lab. Somewhere, my folks have pictures of me sitting on them from when I was eight or ten years old.
They do at the Albuquerque nuclear science museum.

So, I was reading a conspiracy theory that little boy was actually German. There is a news conference where Truman said they "found" the bomb. Why would he say found? Odd

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this doesn't scare you...

The original video is 14 minutes long.
In, IIRC, the book Backyard Ballistics, there's an appendix about an event at a nuclear test site in NM. It was an underground test, and there was a huge (multi-ton) steel plug over the test hole at ground level. I say "was" because after the test, it was gone. Completely. As in nobody could find it.

They'd had a high-speed camera trained on it, and when they analyzed the footage, it was there in one frame and then gone in the next. By comparing the frame rate of the film versus the distances covered by the camera shot, they calculated that the plug must've been doing well beyond escape velocity, making that steel plug the first man-made object to leave the Earth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom