Workbench / Peg-board / Tool Chest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions so far. The HF boxes are actually decent, just need to check them for damage when you pick them up as that seems to be the biggest issue. I've seen a shop where the guy used a bunch of the 56" cabinets as bases for his workbenches.

If you really want to burn some time go over to garagejournal.com and check out what some have done.

I built my own cabinets for benches with drawers in them. Used double MDF for the top as it is easy to replace, will probably go with a thin steel cap for it at some point.

I have a terrible affliction I call "flat surface syndrome", where every flat surface in the shop becomes a landing spot for "stuff". Seems I can never get it cleared off, and I always add more flat surfaces...

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a terrible affliction I call "flat surface syndrome", where every flat surface in the shop becomes a landing spot for "stuff". Seems I can never get it cleared off, and I always add more flat surfaces...

You actually have flat surfaces underneath all that stuff in your garage? :wink2:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions so far. The HF boxes are actually decent, just need to check them for damage when you pick them up as that seems to be the biggest issue. I've seen a shop where the guy used a bunch of the 56" cabinets as bases for his workbenches.

If you really want to burn some time go over to garagejournal.com and check out what some have done.

I built my own cabinets for benches with drawers in them. Used double MDF for the top as it is easy to replace, will probably go with a thin steel cap for it at some point.

You know, it's funny - I got mine home and opened it up only to find that the lower box was dented up in a few places and the frame was torqued enough that two of the drawers wouldn't open. I called HF back and they said to bring it in and exchange it. I then checked the upper part and the lid was so crushed down on the drawers that nothing would open.

Exchanged - cut open the boxes at the store to make sure they were good and brought them home. These HF Tool boxes are probably the best deal in tool-chests right now.

BTW I also have flat-surface-syndrome which is why I'm trying to get things organized (we gave up some garage space moving from the old house to the new one so I need it even more so now).

And that HF work-bench that guy made was absolutely awesome!

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you buy peg board hooks and other hardware from harbor freight don't buy the value pack assortment of like 50 or so pieces lot lighter weight and fit loose compared to the individual packs. I bought both.

Phadrian

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
One other consideration if you are going to mount your press to a 3/4" thick surface I'd recommend a strong mount. The edge of the table can flex with a thin top. The strong mount spreads out the force. Another way to fix the problem is to apply another 3/4" layer of material to thick up the top.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, it's funny - I got mine home and opened it up only to find that the lower box was dented up in a few places and the frame was torqued enough that two of the drawers wouldn't open. I called HF back and they said to bring it in and exchange it. I then checked the upper part and the lid was so crushed down on the drawers that nothing would open.

Exchanged - cut open the boxes at the store to make sure they were good and brought them home. These HF Tool boxes are probably the best deal in tool-chests right now.

BTW I also have flat-surface-syndrome which is why I'm trying to get things organized (we gave up some garage space moving from the old house to the new one so I need it even more so now).

And that HF work-bench that guy made was absolutely awesome!

They have the 44" cabinets on sale for $369 each with a coupon, a couple of those with an 8' butcher block top from Ikea would make a great bench...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00208514/#/60208511

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom