Workbench / Peg-board / Tool Chest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a nice setup.

So, I've got the workbench and the roll-around... Now I'm looking for a pegboard system (or trying to justify buying the back to this workbench).

So there's this metal pegboard setup at Home depot (4ft pegboard/slotted-board setup comes with accessories for $104, or just a couple of panels for $40):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wall-Con...ssories-30WRK400RB/202477954#customer_reviews

www.homedepot.com_catalog_productImages_300_8a_8a5f6ed8_e8d5_43de_b910_3bda6d1de968_300.jpg

Or I can get the back that is made for the workbench (I originally had depth concerns, but I think I can make it work):

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-6'-metal-workbench-backwall/p-00914943000P?prdNo=12

c_shld_net_rpx_i_s_i_spin_image_spin_prod_237487901_e126c3e8239ad8ad1bb30492f0354235._.jpg

The Bench-back from Craftsman comes with a light and power strip, so it's starting to look more attractive. Then again, it's a tiny power strip.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's coming along (very slowly)...

Cheaped out on the Peg-Board (went with a standard white painted fiber board) and decided to just get some brackets and make a larger shelf than I could get with the pre-made versions. becker_atc - Good call on the thicker pegboard hooks (1/4" only - the ones made for both 1/8" and 1/4" are much skinnier and loose). I'm planning on hanging some sort of work-light from the shelf (I've already put in hooks to hang stuff like my Dremmel with cable-bit extension, etc.).

Blue Hawk makes a kit from Lowes that comes with a bunch of 1/4" only stuff - and some pegboard hook-locks (which are awesome). I found that the Walmarts up this way (not out in the boonies where I was) have some decent 1/4" pegboard hook-kits as well (Bull Dog or something was the name of the maker), but this kit with the locks is super-impressive so far.

It's still very much a work in progress, but it seems to be coming along nicely (try to look past the massive pile of crap I'm still sorting through and the crappy cellphone pics):

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_2013_10_10_11_30_40_519_zps68673079.jpg

Also, I'm not going to bump the other thread, but that Rubbermaid Track system is absolutely amazing so far:

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_2013_10_10_11_33_05_797_zpsb03ae7e9.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_2013_10_10_11_32_49_703_zpsb3955717.jpg

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Important changes on the Harbor Freight US General setup...I have the top/bottom/side drawer modules...I love it for the money, you can't beat it...BUT. At some point in the last year or so, enough customers complained they wanted the "shiny" red finish instead of the opaque finish...The problem is, the opaque finish was a high-quality powder coating that is very durable. The "shiny" finish is a garbage runny paint job. So now, they degraded the quality of the US General tool chest and charge the same price as it was before when it came with the powder coating. It depends on what you want specifically, they do have a professional series tool chest and another smaller one that are both red and "shiny" finishes and are done well...but the main US General tool box that everyone buys is now less-good...

EDIT: Looks like you got one of the lesser US Genral tool boxes that DO HAVE the better paint job even though it is shiny red...the step up from that tool box you have comes from a different factory in China and although is now the same color, is not painted as well.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's coming along (very slowly)...

Cheaped out on the Peg-Board (went with a standard white painted fiber board) and decided to just get some brackets and make a larger shelf than I could get with the pre-made versions. becker_atc - Good call on the thicker pegboard hooks (1/4" only - the ones made for both 1/8" and 1/4" are much skinnier and loose). I'm planning on hanging some sort of work-light from the shelf (I've already put in hooks to hang stuff like my Dremmel with cable-bit extension, etc.).

Blue Hawk makes a kit from Lowes that comes with a bunch of 1/4" only stuff - and some pegboard hook-locks (which are awesome). I found that the Walmarts up this way (not out in the boonies where I was) have some decent 1/4" pegboard hook-kits as well (Bull Dog or something was the name of the maker), but this kit with the locks is super-impressive so far.

It's still very much a work in progress, but it seems to be coming along nicely (try to look past the massive pile of crap I'm still sorting through and the crappy cellphone pics):

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_2013_10_10_11_30_40_519_zps68673079.jpg

That is the same bench frame and top combo that I am using an I have no complaints. I've had every type of oil and solvent on the butcher block top and the finish has held up well and always seems to come clean. I also went with the same white pegboard on the opposite wall of my garage where most of my tools are hung.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Important changes on the Harbor Freight US General setup...I have the top/bottom/side drawer modules...I love it for the money, you can't beat it...BUT. At some point in the last year or so, enough customers complained they wanted the "shiny" red finish instead of the opaque finish...The problem is, the opaque finish was a high-quality powder coating that is very durable. The "shiny" finish is a garbage runny paint job. So now, they degraded the quality of the US General tool chest and charge the same price as it was before when it came with the powder coating. It depends on what you want specifically, they do have a professional series tool chest and another smaller one that are both red and "shiny" finishes and are done well...but the main US General tool box that everyone buys is now less-good...

EDIT: Looks like you got one of the lesser US Genral tool boxes that DO HAVE the better paint job even though it is shiny red...the step up from that tool box you have comes from a different factory in China and although is now the same color, is not painted as well.

I don't know man, mine is the Professional 8-drawer (ball bearings / heavier gauge steel) and it doesn't have what I'd call shiny or glossy paint on it - it looks opaque to me. If they made a higher end box than this one (in the same size), it was probably out of my price-range anyway. I just went out and checked it over and it doesn't have any runs in it. If it's not as durable as the previous version, I'm probably not really going to notice - Mine will likely never come out of the garage or move from that spot unless I have to get to the Breaker panel behind it.

That is the same bench frame and top combo that I am using an I have no complaints. I've had every type of oil and solvent on the butcher block top and the finish has held up well and always seems to come clean. I also went with the same white pegboard on the opposite wall of my garage where most of my tools are hung.

Nice setup man - you have the same rifle-mat I want to pick up. I'm looking at a rifle-mat, a pistol mat and a couple of knife-mats (from Benchmade/Kershaw/Spyderco) that I'm going to use as a mouse-pad in my office and as pads for projects in the garage.

I'm still moving/unpacking, so as of right now, I'm getting in the little stuff I can when I get time.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I love them hobby lobby signs... Have most of em myself:)

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just not a fan of peg boards. It's a personal preference thing. In my shop, my hand tools are organized in drawers or live in these drop-down cabinets (that hide away in the rafters). It's not a snooty thing. I just really love my tools.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just not a fan of peg boards. It's a personal preference thing. In my shop, my hand tools are organized in drawers or live in these drop-down cabinets (that hide away in the rafters). It's not a snooty thing. I just really love my tools.

Do those boxes have hinges on the upper end such that you can swing the lower end up until they're level with the rafter cross-beams? If so, do you have covers for the boxes to keep dust, dirt, and bugs out of them?

Latest posts

Top Bottom