World’s largest airplane. It’s being built by a billionaire. It’s getting ready to fly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of us would jump at the chance.

Hell, even knowing the failure rate, some of us would have jumped at the chance to ride the Shuttle before she retired.
Some of us would spend the night in a tent to get to ride the Space Shuttle Columbia.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most sophisticated aircraft are all fly by wire for the most part. If not for computer flight control, some of the fighter aircraft we have now couldn't stay in the air with 100% human control.
Next Gen won't even have a pilot from what I'm reading. Stealth is out, new radar and sensor systems are capable of tracking current stealth technology. They will be able to maneuver with such force that a human can't withstand the G forces they will produce.
Can you imagine pilotless military aircraft? Loaded for bear, no pilot-fighting a war and the country that loses all of it's aircraft first loses the war. That's my kind of war, no one gets killed. Maybe there is something to video games after all.....

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's worth reading both. Boyd pioneered Energy-Maneuverability Theory, which is what showed how much the F-4 sucked (and the areas in which it shined, the FWS's raison d'être). Boyd was USAF, though, so his influence was chiefly there (though the F-18 was originally the YF-17, competitor to the YF-16 for a USAF contract, and the Navy picked it up after USAF declined it).
Fun F-18 fact. My first trip working commiefornia was at a company that built some F-18 parts. One of the program managers brought in a high falutin AF General from the pentagon for a dog and pony show. They were going on and said that the F-18 was a great plane with one big problem. No legs. That's what brought about the Super Hornet. When the Israelis heard of the SH, they immediately wanted to place orders, but for theirs to be built with all titanium bulkheads instead of aluminum alloy. The designers said something like "well we can do that and all, but if you do it, the plane will pull enough G's to basically kill your pilots". Don't recall if it actually happened or not.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think Howard Hughes did something like this. If it can even fly there will be zero demand.

Hughes's Spruce Goose is an ultralight compared to the Stratolaunch. 320ft. vs 385ft. wingspan and prop vs. jet engines. I'm not saying that the Stratolaunch is will be successful but it is something different(thinking outside of the box).

Last edited:

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PS IIRC, another difference between the two is that Hughes's Spruce Goose was designed to haul cargo and the Stratolaunch(as the name implies) is to be a flying launching platform for space vehicles.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The final version was released by Wikileaks. Some people are thinking he's losing his credibility
Star ship.jpg

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hughes's Spruce Goose is an ultralight compared to the Stratolaunch. 320ft. vs 385ft. wingspan and prop vs. jet engines. I'm not saying that the Stratolaunch is will be successful but it is something different(outside of the box thinking).
Hughes's Spruce Goose is an ultralight compared to the Stratolaunch. 320ft. vs 385ft. wingspan and prop vs. jet engines. I'm not saying that the Stratolaunch is will be successful but it is something different(thinking outside of the box).
I thought the Russians have biggest jet they can not afford to fly?

Latest posts

Top Bottom