Yippie!!! Wife wants a gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merrise

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, wife is interested in starter gun. Conditions: Easy to handle and conceal, very safe, not too much or too little stopping power. I will leave out the part about it looking good. Thoughts?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
My advice, either buy a gun in a larger caliber with a .22 conversion kit (ie, 1911 .45 with .22 slide, or glock 9mm with .22 slide) or a buy a .22lr pistol. It is much cheaper and easier to master. Ammo is cheaper, therefore live fire practice is much cheaper. And since the recoil is nearly nothing, flinching is much less likely to become a habit.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My advice, either buy a gun in a larger caliber with a .22 conversion kit (ie, 1911 .45 with .22 slide, or glock 9mm with .22 slide) or a buy a .22lr pistol. It is much cheaper and easier to master. Ammo is cheaper, therefore live fire practice is much cheaper. And since the recoil is nearly nothing, flinching is much less likely to become a habit.

I agree on the 22...for cost effective

aside from that I suggest a 38 special - if she likes pink smith has the airweight in pink, charter arms has the pink lady, etc.

Best bet is to find what fits her hand and is comfortable for her.

RedneckZombie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my wife a Ruger SP101 short barrel version. She can plink with .38 spc. or step up to the .357 full house stuff for serious work. Still not as cost effective to shoot as the .22LR though, and dang is that thing loud. Even with muffs.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would take to H&H or any other range that rents guns and have her shoot a buch of them, or use your firends guns. Start with the 22's and then try the 9mm's I would stay far away from the 5 shot 38's they just have to much recoil!
My wife loves her M&P9's and that is THE gun we see in class more often than not with the ladys and as a whole they have done better with that gun than any other.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I agree on the 22...for cost effective

aside from that I suggest a 38 special - if she likes pink smith has the airweight in pink, charter arms has the pink lady, etc.

Best bet is to find what fits her hand and is comfortable for her.

I agree that a .38 makes a great gun. And, for this case, one of the S&W model 64's that JG is selling (see the thread in this section, or the Gen'l Discussions) would be fantastic. Not too heavy, but heavy enough to keep recoil from being a deterrent. I would advise you NOT to get one of the "cute" little snubbies around for her first gun. They make positively GREAT carry guns, but they are far less than ideal for a beginner's gun.

My other comment regarding what Zombie said, is that what feels good at the gun counter may NOT feel good during live fire. Also, don't get something that is lower quality because it "looks" or "feels" good. Again, I'll use the snubbies as an example. They feel good in the hand, they're light, and they tend to point very naturally. However, they can be downright painful for a new shooter, especially if you get the lightest guns/ powerful ammo combined.

You can order one of the S&W 64's here: JG Sales
Unbeatable even for $220 (+ shipping and transfer) if you buy one on your own.

A .38 like this would be a fantastic gun to learn with, and you would never outgrow it either. A 4" .38 spl is a fun range gun no matter how experienced you are with guns.

As I mentioned earlier, in the way of autos. Again, try to shoot some with the full size caliber first.
Some larger autos that there are .22 conversions available for:
1911's of almost all flavors Advantage Arms
Glocks of almost all flavors Advantage Arms
Sig P228/229, P226, and P220 Sigarms Store
CZ75 CZ Kadet Adapter

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that a .38 makes a great gun. And, for this case, one of the S&W model 64's that JG is selling (see the thread in this section, or the Gen'l Discussions) would be fantastic. Not too heavy, but heavy enough to keep recoil from being a deterrent. I would advise you NOT to get one of the "cute" little snubbies around for her first gun. They make positively GREAT carry guns, but they are far less than ideal for a beginner's gun.

My other comment regarding what Zombie said, is that what feels good at the gun counter may NOT feel good during live fire. Also, don't get something that is lower quality because it "looks" or "feels" good. Again, I'll use the snubbies as an example. They feel good in the hand, they're light, and they tend to point very naturally. However, they can be downright painful for a new shooter, especially if you get the lightest guns/ powerful ammo combined.

You can order one of the S&W 64's here: JG Sales
Unbeatable even for $220 (+ shipping and transfer) if you buy one on your own.

A .38 like this would be a fantastic gun to learn with, and you would never outgrow it either. A 4" .38 spl is a fun range gun no matter how experienced you are with guns.

As I mentioned earlier, in the way of autos. Again, try to shoot some with the full size caliber first.
Some larger autos that there are .22 conversions available for:
1911's of almost all flavors Advantage Arms
Glocks of almost all flavors Advantage Arms
Sig P228/229, P226, and P220 Sigarms Store
CZ75 CZ Kadet Adapter

They are in Edmond per his location so he could get in on the OKC group buy. I see your point, but for it to hurt I can only see a couple scenarios, slide bite, limp wristing the gun, shooting some evil loads. For her first gun personally I would look at 9mm and 38 specials, maybe some smaller calibers.

I agree with the H&H idea, and by no means did I mean for it to sound like it is okay to skimp on quality to go with something that might be prettier, or have a similar feel to it.

glad to see she likes the idea of a 38, smith is always a great choice, I like my Rossi, there are tons of options out there. Check out academy, h&h, the new shop in edmond (forgot the name), anywhere they will let you look at it and hold it first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom