You guys ever eat "poverty" junk food?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you Underwood eaters ever seen this in any stores in OK? It's the only one I haven't tried yet.

dW0vODc5Ni5qcGc

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Road kill?

Oh, hell yeah. When I was a deputy working in the mountains of Colorado we had a call list of people to call when a deer or elk was hit on the highway and put down. There were many times I spent a few hours after a shift field dressing an elk. Kept our freezer full year round.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stuff like this? High sodium, low cost, non-refrigerated.

anBn

LmpwZw

LmpwZw

anBn
I had a good friend who died from eating that crap. He was one of the smartest chemical engineers in the world at the time of his death, and he left this world far too young. When we cleaned out his office, he had cases of that stuff stored in there.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mom's folks weren't rich, but they never ate poverty food, aside from gov't cheese, because they were farmers and raised their own food. Heck, for most of their lives, they didn't take the gov't cheese because Grandpa kept dairy cattle so they had the real stuff.

My dad, on the other hand, loved viennies, Underwood's deviled ham, and the like. I bought the Leatherman tool that I carry today in Tupelo, MS, because my dad and I were working there and I bought him a flat of viennies that turned out not to be in pop-top cans. I needed a can opener, a Lowe's was handy, and the Leatherman Wingman has a can opener in its toolset.

I'm not so big on potted meat, but I do like some viennies every now and again.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Beans and cornbread with jalapenos/hot sauce and onions...... I cannot believe how much ham hock costs these days ......... Smoked neck bones work as well but less meat
Red beans and rice....... same fixings as above without the cornbread..... Andouille sausages can still be had for a decent price if you get it on sale and stock up.
Chicken Gumbo is also cheap and I can roux like a champ. Gotta get it just short of dark chocolate ,MMMMmmm
Had lambs quarter growing on the edges of the garden and wife decided that needs to be a staple ...
Still trying to warm up to the polk leaves ........... Supposed to be packed with nutrients so we are probably going to give it a go..
Wild onions all over Oklahoma , fried green maters with wild onion is pretty good .

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Potted meat, Vienna sausages, sardines
Deviled ham, spam, bologna, Dinty Moore beef stew and a box of crackers you were set for anything thrown at you!
I would bet most of the population under 40 and fairly large percentage of folks under 50 have never dined on the above foods. I’ve eaten it all in my younger days, and my current menu when I’m at my place up there by myself is single serve mac and cheese, Great Value chicken noodle soup, Great Value beef stew, rice, chicken pot pies, and occasionally a chicken noodle meal in a kind of rotation.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would bet most of the population under 40 and fairly large percentage of folks under 50 have never dined on the above foods. I’ve eaten it all in my younger days, and my current menu when I’m at my place up there by myself is single serve mac and cheese, Great Value chicken noodle soup, Great Value beef stew, rice, chicken pot pies, and occasionally a chicken noodle meal in a kind of rotation.
love me some little pot pies!

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ate lots of spam, Vienna sausages and ramen noodles until I was 21 and got married. Then I got ranch work employment and I’ve had beef provided for me since. The ramen noodles are still around and my kids like them. In four and a half minutes I can have 3 packs hot and ready to fill me slap up. Me n the girls experiment with different recipes. Our go to is the beef dust they come with, a couple sprinkles of Fiesta fajita seasoning and a dash of basil. They are pretty good with ground beef mixed in and cream of mushroom soup too. Some days you just want a full belly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom