Deer Season 2014

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you guys seeing bucks chasing? Has it not kicked off full swing yet? Ive been out a lot and seen a few bucks, none seemed to be going wild for the does or anything like that. And Ive seen a lot of does the last few days and no bucks following them or anything. Maybe the weather is messing with them. Just wondering what you guys are seeing. Im in the SW part of the state btw.

The deer I shot was alone as far as I can tell. Didn't hear any crashing after the gunshot, no tell tale behavior that there was a buck trailing, and I waited for about 5 mins to see what I can see. Nada.

I haven't seen a ton of of ruttigNg activity this year. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Part of it is I haven't been in the field as much. I do get the impression that this year might have been a bit late. I'll be out looking for antlers to shoot next weekend! Good luck!

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent opening weekend in SW OK north of Altus. I had 4 pair of deer that I watched in a drainage area for 2 days. Each buck had a doe on lockdown and they stayed in that area. There was not an avenue for me to sneak in on them and closets shot was 400 yards.

Id say the peak rut has come and gone and they may be out looking for #2. You may not be seeing bucks because they have found #2 and have her locked down

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_11_28_f1bff6adcc5b1829a8e9764be25d54db.jpg

My dad finally got one today.

That's a heck of a buck! Congrats to your dad! Going to get it mounted?

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a heck of a buck! Congrats to your dad! Going to get it mounted?

no he is cheap I couldn't believe it when he said he wasn't going to get it done its the biggest deer he has and will ever kill and he wont spend the money I even told him I would have it done for him and he is just going to do a European mount.

phwillie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been hunting west of Mangum and have seen bucks chasing does from opening day on. Shot a doe Thanksgiving morning that a buck was chasing. Both bucks my partner and I took were hot on the trail of skittish does.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got back in the field yesterday. I setup at 3:15pm and faced West, where I expected the deer to come from. After about 30 minutes, I turned around and sat down. 30 seconds later, I see the sun glinting off of antlers to my SE at 45 yards. It was a beautiful, tall tined 8 point. He was moving ever so slowly through, checking wind and looking in all directions. I stood up and watched him enter a small opening at 40 yards, but it looked like there were branches 5 yards in front of him and I was already crouching to duck a fallen tree. I decided to pass that shot and got a case of the fever. He started to circle away so I grunted at him several time forcefully (wind was blowing like crazy). He stopped, but continued on. I bleated 3 times and he didn't like it. Instead he took off to the NE. Only deer I saw, but I'll be back after him this afternoon, hoping he takes a different route.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't you just love that warm fuzzy feeling of having someone look at you with their rifle scope, lol. Just happaned, 4 teens, 3 boys 1 girl, walking around the field over 325 yards away. They didn't see me at first but looked like they were scanning the field I'm hunting. Guess they spotted my blind and decide to take a better look with their scope. I was watching them with my binoculars. Waved my hat out the blind and then they went on the other direction. Was going to blaze over to another spot, but kinda late for that, guess I'll stick it out here.

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally shot my first deer on my new property. We are seeing a lot more deer than we did last year, but most of them are very young. This doe dressed out at 92lbs. image.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom