Hammer Fired Carry Gun Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is what I alternate between, Rugar SR 1911 (never missed a beat on maybe 500-800 rounds, I'll call it reliable lol) and my Browning Highpower before cerekote and after. I actually sold this Ruger and bought a Commander model that is also cerikoted desert tan but I cant find the pic.The ruger is single stack 7+1 and browning is double stack and holds 12+1
i102.photobucket.com_albums_m84_mch6933_2012_09_15_01_50_53_940.jpg

Browning before cerekote job
i102.photobucket.com_albums_m84_mch6933_2012_07_21_02_02_03_775.jpg

And after done in burnt bronze.
i102.photobucket.com_albums_m84_mch6933_IMG_20140923_191636_833_zpshoqkjfe1.jpg

Do you only load twelve plus one because that is as high as you can count (lol)?!?

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never cared if it was hammer vs. striker fired. In what cases does it matter?

Few things for me. First is for whatever reason I like the resistance of the DA pull and seem to hold a better sight alignment with added pressure. Also I ride the hammer with my thumb when holstering or reholstering so even if the trigger was touched the hammer can't move... I think. I realize it's just in my head, but I feel safer carrying one in the chamber with the hammer since it's not yet cocked. Oh, and they just look nicer.

I'm new at this so it's subject to change I figure.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No I can count to 20 with my socks off, although it take a couple tries. Apparently I can't proofread my posts though.

The Browning Hi Power was a pistol that as early as elementary school I knew I wanted. They have an "exquisite" feel to them ... like a really fine watch. Bought mine back in the early 80's and then sent it off to Austin Behlert to be tuned. Amazing pistol.

As to magazines and round count, I have somewhere a few South African military Hi Power mags that hold 17. They work well and fine but the problem is in loading them ... need power tools to compress the springs after the second round. I leave those at home when I shoot my Browning and stick with the Pachmayrs.

Attachments

• Browing HP 1.jpg
    Browing HP 1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Browning HP 2.jpg
    Browning HP 2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 200

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's a nice-looking CZ 75 Compact at Sooner State's website right now. Unfortunately, that doesn't help you much in Stillwater. They are completely great pistols.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Few things for me. First is for whatever reason I like the resistance of the DA pull and seem to hold a better sight alignment with added pressure. Also I ride the hammer with my thumb when holstering or reholstering so even if the trigger was touched the hammer can't move... I think. I realize it's just in my head, but I feel safer carrying one in the chamber with the hammer since it's not yet cocked. Oh, and they just look nicer.

I'm new at this so it's subject to change I figure.
Have you tried the Kahr trigger? If not, it may surprise you for a striker. Many of the others (e.g., Glock, M&P) triggers can be worked into nearly any pull/feel you like. I also think the holstering/reholstering issue is a legitimate one, but can be eased with good training.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never cared if it was hammer vs. striker fired. In what cases does it matter?

The only thing I can think of is the very rare hard primer. On a striker fired gun, you have to manipulate the slide and lose the round (it's only happened twice I can remember; on a Glock and XDS). Not a big deal at the range, and probably a non issue with good defensive ammo. On my da/sa hammer fired guns, just pull the trigger again, but I've never had a hammer fired gun refuse to ignite the primer on the first try.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is the very rare hard primer. On a striker fired gun, you have to manipulate the slide and lose the round (it's only happened twice I can remember; on a Glock and XDS). Not a big deal at the range, and probably a non issue with good defensive ammo. On my da/sa hammer fired guns, just pull the trigger again, but I've never had a hammer fired gun refuse to ignite the primer on the first try.
Another training issue. You are wasting valuable time trying to ignite a round that didn't go bang the first time. No matter what pistol you have, get it out of there and re-engage.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another training issue. You are wasting valuable time trying to ignite a round that didn't go bang the first time. No matter what pistol you have, get it out of there and re-engage.

True enough. It's only happened to me while practicing at the range, and all of the cartridges fired the after I removed them and tried again in the same pistol. But I can pull the trigger one more time and hope it works faster than I can work the slide.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're a DAO revolver guy, I'm going to suggest the Sig P250 in subcompact but using the compact magazines with an X-grip adapter. Reliable DAO action with double strike capability , 15 round capacity in 9mm/13 rounds on .40 S&W/.357 SIG/9 rounds .45 ACP, and three different width grip modules.

Latest posts

Top Bottom