health insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I got my notice from BCBS today. If I let it ride, my total premium will increase by more than that 76% they asked for (nearly 77%). My out of pocket for the premium, if my "Obamacare Subsidy" doesn't increase, will be almost three times what I am paying now .... 2.95 times as much if you want to be specific. And, the coverage is going down. Instead of paying 20% for a lot of stuff like lab work and X-rays, I will be paying 40%. SO, I will be looking for cheaper insurance (which probably won't be worth having), or just not having health insurance and paying the penalty, or the wife or I (or BOTH) will be going back to work. So much for retirement! (AND, Obamacare!)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn. That sucks, man.

I think one of our staff at work said her insurance was going up like 75%, too. Sadly, we work for the largest hospital corporation in America, and she has to rely on the gov't exchange for her insurance. How pathetic.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After my family insurance went to almost $1000 a month for a family of 4 last year we went with Christian Ministries. Was around $400 for all of us. Fortunately we had no major medical issues so I can't comment on service and time of payment. My new company got me around $500 month so I went with them this year. May be worth checking into for you.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn. That sucks, man.

I think one of our staff at work said her insurance was going up like 75%, too. Sadly, we work for the largest hospital corporation in America, and she has to rely on the gov't exchange for her insurance. How pathetic.

So true. You know, it was really sad that my wife overheard one of the nurses when I was in for one of my ablations say something to the effect of ' I wish I could afford to have this done.' WTF! That's just not right!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you old enough to qualify for medicare?

No. I retired at 62 the first of May, 2015. Our budgeting worked out well for 2015 and 2016, but I can't stomach this kind of increase. I don't want to give up the nest egg we put aside for retirement just to pay for health insurance.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After my family insurance went to almost $1000 a month for a family of 4 last year we went with Christian Ministries. Was around $400 for all of us. Fortunately we had no major medical issues so I can't comment on service and time of payment. My new company got me around $500 month so I went with them this year. May be worth checking into for you.

Thanks. I'll look into that. Any special requirements? Are they, for sure, still writing health insurance in Oklahoma?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just re-calculated my estimated "premium tax credit" (subsidy) for next year, and my out of pocket premium should only double.

Apogee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wife and myself, 50ish. 2016 was $525 a month, 2017 will be $1046 per month...100 freekin' percent increase. But hey, our deductible went from $6500 per person to $6000 per person, so I got that going for me.

Barry and every Dem that voted for this abomination can kiss the fattest part of my butt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom