health insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you healthy? If so, look up an HSA eligible plan. Sink cash into the HSA and write it off. Wait it out for another year and a half and enroll in medicare and pull out what you put in the HSA. Make sure you get a plan G or Plan F supplement to Medicare and STAY away from Medicare Advantage.

Your situation sucks but at least you're getting a subsidy. Imagine working full time and not qualifying for a subsidy yet the premiums put a stranglehold on your finances.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you healthy? If so, look up an HSA eligible plan. snipped.... Imagine working full time and not qualifying for a subsidy yet the premiums put a stranglehold on your finances.

This is exactly where I'm at. My plan is an HSA and I'm too far away from being able to draw on it to even consider. My health insurance costs more than my house payment P&I by about $500 a month. Imagine if I could throw an extra $500 a month on the principle to my mortgage? Now imagine that I could have it paid off in a couple of years. Yeah, that's where I'm at. Imagining...

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread makes me sick.. Usually I take a pretty moderate line. But you see Obama bragging about his health insurance. Oh, you cant be denied based on pre existing conditions. You cant be denied based on age. Well guess what you halfwit. Take an actuarial science class! They passed the insurance liability off to the entire damn middle class in the form of higher premiums. It's pathetic. I'm lucky enough to have a company negotiate on my behalf, but all you guys are getting the shafts! Is this what helping people looks like? Because if so, count me out.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, splain what a HSA eligible plan is and how you can write it off.

HSA = Health Savings Account. It's a tax free account you put money into to use for co-pays and medical expenses. To qualify you have to have a "qualifying" health insurance plan which is high deductible. It's similar to a cafeteria plan from an employer, except anyone can do it and the money you put into your HSA carries over year to year unlike a cafeteria plan that has to be used up each year. It's your money and you keep it. If you get to retirement age you can also use it for that. It adds onto to 401ks and IRAs meaning you can still have those and their tax deductions in addition to the HSA.

I don't know about "writing it off" as my tax guy does all that stuff for me. This setup is the answer to fix our screwed up mess. It puts us in control of what we buy. If we could just get .gov out of it the insurance companies would offer all sorts of different plans for different needs. Free markets just do that, they react to what we want to buy.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
87% increase here. Nearly $450/mo for HSA-eligible catastrophic plan. And with so many doctors, hospitals, and other services being dropped from the network, might as well call it an $18K deductible and $41K out of pocket. And prescriptions only count toward deductible if filled at Walmart or Walgreens. There's some under-the-desk dealing going on there, and it's not cash.

The only reason I was carrying it was choice in who I see without having to get every non-IHS transaction pre-approved.

I'm done this time. I'm cancelling the rest of the year, too.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait a minute! Are you saying what was said in this video of promises isn't exactly as they said it would be?

Seriously, I feel for those of you being decimated by the lack of competition and exorbitant insurance premiums. That uncertainty is the primary reason I, and many others in my age group (60ish, been working somewhere 30+ years, considering retirement after trying to plan accordingly) are so reluctant to move from a company insurance plan to a public plan.

It is a shame on all of Washington that they can't find a solution. That would require that all of the Washington politicians be required to live under the same health plans and social security plans we do. Not gonna happen without the citizens of the United States as voters, no matter the party, demanding change. Sad to say we, as a group, are too apathetic and shortsighted to do so.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is a shame on all of Washington that they can't find a solution. That would require that all of the Washington politicians be required to live under the same health plans and social security plans we do. Not gonna happen without the citizens of the United States as voters, no matter the party, demanding change. Sad to say we, as a group, are too apathetic and shortsighted to do so.

You got that right!

Latest posts

Top Bottom