How do you tell someone their meat sucks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We eat a lot of venison in our house. Steaks, jerky, burger - it's a mainstay. I would even wager that we eat more wild game than we do store bought - I say all this to give a little background when I tell you that my wife knows just how excellent venison can taste. She also knows how terrible it can taste. It's almost always based on how the meat is prepared.

My wife was served a bowl of taco soup by a friend about a week ago. It was made with venison - and it was terrible. When not properly prepared, venison can be very gamey, even musty, and this was the worst venison she had ever tasted. She was unable to move past the first bite. Rather than upset her friend, she said she was having some digestive distress. It was probably the right thing to do.

So how do you tell someone that their venison sucks without ticking them off? I know I have a LOT of time in preparation of meat during hunting season. I take great pride in how it is prepared and realize that it may end up as someones first taste of wild game so it ALL needs to be top shelf. It might just offend me a little if someone said my meat stunk.

I realize that it may be the fault of the game processing company, but apparently her friend just went on and on about how GREAT this soup was - and down an entire bowl oblivious to the off-putting experience my wife was having with the exact same food.

So, would you comment on the poor taste, just eat it and smile, or excuse yourself and hurl?

BuckRoar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
smile and hurl. LOL.
During next season, give the husband a lesson on how to take care of his deer once he kills it.
But if he goes to a meat processor that just mixes his with everyone elses, it does no go.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But if he goes to a meat processor that just mixes his with everyone elses, it does no go.

This right here is the #1 reason for bad quality meat. Your perfectly field dressed and properly cooled down deer just got mixed with one dragged around in the back of a truck for 3 warm days.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons why we don't like using a processor. it's a real gamble.,

We have two around here that do the "1 pile divided for all" method.

Mine does one deer at a time. I've known him for 20 years, and he has done mine for 18.
Very good reputation among other customers as well.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will never use a processor. Never been to one but heard stories of 30 deer piled up in front of the building on opening day half not even field dressed. :shocked::puke:

About the eating something you don't like. Depends on the friend. If it was family or close enough to be called family I would say something and expect the same in return. I always like to learnt he best possible way to prepare food. I want to be told if I am doing something wrong. Life is too short to eat sub par food. Its all calories. They should be enjoyed. If you will never eat their food again. Your wife's tact was the wise choice.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make something better and give it to them, if they like it, they may ask the secret to the success, and you can share with them.

To them, their meat may be perfect to their tastes though, and what is good to you, or your wife, may not be good to them.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took one of my deer to a processor many years ago. After getting it back and took the first bite I found it unfit to eat. That is the last time I ever took mine to a processor.
I care for the meat I harvest, we are VERY careful in how that meat is treated and processed. If the meat even smells funky when going thru the processing I will cook it up as food for my pet wolf instead of using it to feed my family.

Latest posts

Top Bottom