i'll never complain. . . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are many instances of houses collapsing on garage floor shelters and trapping people. That is one reason we have a traditional storm shelter in the backyard.

Yes. And I've heard stories of people getting a tractor or backhoe to clear a neighbor buried by debris in a traditional outdoor shelter.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has resisted me having a shelter installed in our garage for several years. After seeing the devastation from these tornados, she has agreed. I will be looking into having one installed soon. I'm sure they will be backed up months due to the recent events. I want one that will last for more than a few years before rusting out.

scha2707

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our house got hit by the small tornado in Mustang last April that popped up out of nowhere. After that we got a Smart Safe in garage floor shelter and decided to spend the extra $800 to get the 14 person size. We decided that the extra money would be well worth the extra family and friends that we could cram in there if we ever need to.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How could you ever complain about a storm shelter? Even in the off season they are very useful for oil changes :)

...which raises an excellent point: make sure that, in your hour of need (with ten minutes' warning), your car won't be sitting on top of it. If you normally park two cars in your garage, you'll have to open the door, move the car, then get to shelter, potentially leaving you outside until the last possible moment.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife has always hinted at wanting one, but now I am seriously considering getting one in the next year or so. Just can't do it financially right now, but I think it would give me peace of mind. Especially if I am gone at the behest of my bosses, and she's home alone with the dogs and the weather goes south.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...which raises an excellent point: make sure that, in your hour of need (with ten minutes' warning), your car won't be sitting on top of it. If you normally park two cars in your garage, you'll have to open the door, move the car, then get to shelter, potentially leaving you outside until the last possible moment.
I can get in mine with the truck inside

Latest posts

Top Bottom