i'll never complain. . . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My ambulance service was deployed to Moore. My take away. Besides a broken heart. I am not sure you can survive above ground if in the path of a 4 or 5 that is grinding on the ground. Mine is below ground. I would not be comfortable in a safe room. Our ancestors called it a fraidy hole for a reason.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can get in mine with the truck inside

We can get in ours with the car in the garage; my only concern is being in a pit below a vehicle with a full tank of gas over your head.

As for prep: I read a post from a guy on another forum who does in-ground metal storage tanks, and according to him, there is no way to prep steel to last below ground. He said he had never, ever seen any type of metal container - no matter how it was treated and coated - that didn't rust out. I believe the topic pertained to people trying to bury conex containters, but his experience was eye opening. That's why I mentioned a fiberglass shelter. But what we have will work, and I'm happy to have it.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for prep: I read a post from a guy on another forum who does in-ground metal storage tanks, and according to him, there is no way to prep steel to last below ground. He said he had never, ever seen any type of metal container - no matter how it was treated and coated - that didn't rust out.

Yeah, that ain't true.

If you added "eventually after about 20 years" to the end of that sentence, I wouldn't disagree too terribly much.

There are simple things you can do to mitigate corrosion on buried ferrous metal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom