Is the southern accent intimidating?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been fortunate to travel all over the world, and its fun to see the reactions of folks when they find out your from Oklahoma.

No accent here (although I have been accused of turning okie by family, lol), but I have seen this.

Went home for Christmas one year, and was out for a drink. My high-school english teacher was the bartender, and when he saw my Driver's License, he said "OKLAHOMA?!?!? Why's your driver's license say Oklahoma?" "...because that's where I live...."

Guess he couldn't comprehend why anyone would want to live here, lol.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's amusing in the A.M. to listen to you Good 'Ole Boys pat yourself on the back and imagine...err...recall how your very presence impresses people.
Maybe you just underestimate your personal magnetism? Or your vivid imagination?

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's amusing in the A.M. to listen to you Good 'Ole Boys pat yourself on the back and imagine...err...recall how your very presence impresses people.
Maybe you just underestimate your personal magnetism? Or your vivid imagination?

I’m sure that’s true to some degree but I think it has more to do with the way Okies carry themselves. Not a matter of arrogance but a confidence that others notice. And no it isn’t a unique trait to just here.

Unfortunately, like Jeff Foxworthy says we just can’t keep the dumbest amongst us off CNN describing the sound of a tornado.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got verbally attacked for holding a door for a woman one time. Something along the lines of," I don't need you to do that , I can do it myself, I don't need your help." To which I responded, "I'm from Mississippi..." She said, oh "I'm sorry, thank you and went on her way. This was in Chicago.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I talk, and act, like a hayseed too. In the big cities, some people love it, some people loathe it. It never hurts to be polite and a little drawly around pretty women and stuffed shirt businessmen.

I once was speaking in a group of Danish people that thought my accent (I have none, really) was the cat's meow. They really liked the contrast between a South Yukon accent versus the NYC-yankee bleat they were used to hearing.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people that reside above the Sweat Tea Line don't understand manners. It confuses them.

That and cowboys that far north tuck their jeans in their boots. This gives them somewhere to put the sheep's back legs.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yankee sissyboys are often intimidated by real men. Think nothing of it, and keep on doing your thing.

They probably expected you to whip out a sixgun and start shooting the roaches.

You guys miss that he was in Spokane, Washington? You do realize eastern WA is practically Idaho, and about as far removed from Western Washington or California or the Northeast as we are?

Latest posts

Top Bottom