more BOHICA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The road improvement means baseball size ‘gravel’ that tear your tires up. Dealing with two turbines on my lease after 20 years of hunting there. Once we get the building done, they spend six months running a generator while they are firing up the grid after the thing is built! There are 2-4 trucks at the base of each one for months and months even after they are built.
I’ve talked to a bunch of the crews. They are from EVERYWHERE but Oklahoma. Every crew is from Utah, Michigan, Illinois etc. If we are forced to have this, WHY CANT we have exclusively Oklahoma crews. I know it’s being taught and trained in the vo-techs. Let’s keep that money here.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The road improvement means baseball size ‘gravel’ that tear your tires up. Dealing with two turbines on my lease after 20 years of hunting there. Once we get the building done, they spend six months running a generator while they are firing up the grid after the thing is built! There are 2-4 trucks at the base of each one for months and months even after they are built.
I’ve talked to a bunch of the crews. They are from EVERYWHERE but Oklahoma. Every crew is from Utah, Michigan, Illinois etc. If we are forced to have this, WHY CANT we have exclusively Oklahoma crews. I know it’s being taught and trained in the vo-techs. Let’s keep that money here.
yep, the guy I know is from PA and he travels the county every time there is a new farm to build. They pay all his travel expenses and housing and food on top of his huge salary/wage.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same in the oil field, I’m on the rigs everyday, rarely is anyone from Oklahoma

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a few guys in the industry for building/maintaining, etc. One old man is a truck driver and all he hauls are those 220' blades. He makes stupid money. One is a young 25 yo guy who is lead tech or whatever hes called and he oversees new farm builds, he makes stupid money also. Plus the cost of the huge crane and crew to erect one. And the the land owner gets (I was told) $5000 for each one on their property. I assume thats a yearly payment be who knows, it could be quarterly, but I doubt its monthly.
During July and Aug. when electric use is at a peak, the wind is not blowing.
It depends on how the contract is written. Most out in the panhandle of Texas, start at a base pay of 5K a month and can go up from there to due a percentage pay out. And on a calm day there the is blowing 5 mph, which is what it take to turn the mill. Some of those mills have been in for about 30 years now.

Birdistheword

Marksman
Reaction score
Well, just got a letter stating a wind farm is being proposed for north central Lincoln county. Our farm is the bullseye.
We don't want it. Neighbors don't want it. My understanding is that if enough people in the area are for it, we don't have a choice. Only place on our farm would be right in the middle of the best hunting we have.
Just found out the local "officials" have known for two years that it was coming. Now I know why we got notification they were surveying some "road improvements" a few months ago.......got to make sure they can get the trucks carrying the blades around the corners.
When they put them in near where I used to live there were several things I noticed that were less than desirable. 1. From a land use standpoint, they will be ruining a significant portion of your surface habitat or tillable acres depending on what you do. That land will be unrecoverable for at least 20years depending on the agreement. 2. Federal regulations regarding things like site disturbance (i.e. don't shoot a rattle snake there) will apply to your land. 3. Follow the money. Where I was the project over ran objections because not only did the land owners receive guaranteed income, the county commissioners received a large annual payment for 20yrs and the school board received a large payment for 20yrs. Those two influences caused a lot of problems for the county. 4. There is subsidy to build them but at least at that time there was none to sustain or repair them. And 5. The stupid towers fell over at random because the engineering wasn't right. Nobody got hurt in our case but then they sat there causing decreased usable acreage and a hazard for an undetermined length of time. I would fight hard to keep them not only off my property but out of my county and state if it was possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom