My dad's Christmas present

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby13dew

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm needing help. I don't know if this is the right form or not. But I'm needing options on a double barrel 12ga side by side. It needs to look nice but doesn't need to be high quality or name brand. He doesn't shoot much but for some reason he said he really wants a double barrel. If you know of any specific models or brands that ain't going to cost a arm and a leg please help me.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First one to come to mind is Stoeger. I've handled their little coach gun and it looks and feels well made. I think they make longer barrel side by sides too. I've heard that you want to stick with their double trigger models. No doubt they are lower cost than a lot of the others.

Last edited:

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First one to come to mind is Stoeger. I've handled their little coach gun and it looks and feels well made. I think they make longer barrel side by sides too. I've heard that you want to stick with their double trigger models. No doubt they are lower cost than a lot of the others.

I bought my stepdad a Stoeger O/U a few years ago for his bday. Seems like a solid gun. He was happy.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if he wants a scattergun for bird hunting or cowboy action, but give the Cimmaron Arms 1878 hammer double a look.
I've handled the Coach Gun, and it seemed pretty neat. 12 gauge with 20 inch barrels, appeared to have no choke at all. Looks like the gun is also available with longer barrels.

I've seen the coach gun model for less than 5 bills. (Maybe order thru your dealer.)

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/shotguns-1/1878-hammered-shotgun.html

ETA -- I don't think they're imported any more, but the Russian Baikal (spelling ??) double barrels looked hell for stout. Might find one used.

cm_osu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if he wants a scattergun for bird hunting or cowboy action, but give the Cimmaron Arms 1878 hammer double a look.
I've handled the Coach Gun, and it seemed pretty neat. 12 gauge with 20 inch barrels, appeared to have no choke at all. Looks like the gun is also available with longer barrels.

I've seen the coach gun model for less than 5 bills. (Maybe order thru your dealer.)

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/shotguns-1/1878-hammered-shotgun.html

ETA -- I don't think they're imported any more, but the Russian Baikal (spelling ??) double barrels looked hell for stout. Might find one used.
The baikal are solid shotguns for the money. Mine feels like it was built like a tank. They're also fairly inexpensive if you can find one. I got my bounty hunter II for about 200 in 2006.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does he want a hammer coach gun? Rossi used to make them and they are good ones but they stopped making them due to federal law (no safety) but you can get a good, used and pretty one for far less than $500. Chinese coach guns are tinny and do shoot but they lack in heft.

Latest posts

Top Bottom