New to Tulsa, what should I see, do or eat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mcdonald's, Burger King, Wataburger... Those represent Oklahoma "in general" (as well as most of the country) I'm guessing you really want something better than that though. :D

Well, if we are going down that route, definitely Braum's Ice Cream Stores. Their dairy and factory are all in Oklahoma.

And, if old firearms and military hardware are of interest to a new guy, check out the 45th Infantry Museum in Oklahoma City near NE 36th and Martin Luther King Blvd.

Link to my photos of the 45th Infantry Museum: 45th Infantry Museum

teslawasframed

Night Watchman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite fancy burger is served at the Brady Tavern, down the road from Cain's Ballroom. Challa bun, good beef, covered in a mushroom Stilton sauce and served with rosemary fries. Order it after 9pm, and it's half price. Good beer, cocktail and whiskey selection there, too. I'd make it there once per week, even as a broke college student. Good food, good drinks, quiet atmosphere. They used to serve fried quail and biscuits for Sunday brunch, not sure if they still do...

The Valykrie bar is a few doors down. Better cocktails, but I don't stay long...too loud for my taste.

Rio Verde is awesome Mexican food. I'm too white to go there after dark, though.

Bodeans is the place for fresh seafood.

Sigei's is a good spot for sausage.

India Palace and Lanna Thai are legit, but my favorite eastern style resteraunt is The Tropical.

N5JBD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to Tulsa, we moved back last year after a 20 absence. While gone I craved Carl's Coney Islanders so give them a try. If you like that also give Ron's Hamburgers a go, Tulsa has a great Coney and Hamburger history. Tolly's on 11th street is a great diner and for old school real Sub Sandwiches any Bill and Ruth's will take care of that craving. There are a lot of good suggestions on this thread so try them all. Tulsa has a lot of food choices.

Also I don't know what you shoot but give USSA gun range a try, it's next door the the police academy just north of town. We live in downtown and I can be there in about 15min.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite fancy burger is served at the Brady Tavern, down the road from Cain's Ballroom. Challa bun, good beef, covered in a mushroom Stilton sauce and served with rosemary fries. Order it after 9pm, and it's half price. Good beer, cocktail and whiskey selection there, too. I'd make it there once per week, even as a broke college student. Good food, good drinks, quiet atmosphere. They used to serve fried quail and biscuits for Sunday brunch, not sure if they still do...

The Valykrie bar is a few doors down. Better cocktails, but I don't stay long...too loud for my taste.

Rio Verde is awesome Mexican food. I'm too white to go there after dark, though.

Bodeans is the place for fresh seafood.

Sigei's is a good spot for sausage.

India Palace and Lanna Thai are legit, but my favorite eastern style resteraunt is The Tropical.
I second the vote for El Rio Verde, it is definitely legit Mexican food and very good. I have been there shortly after dark and although I wasn't bothered I was ready to deal with anyone if I had been. That said, it isn't the neighborhood to be in at night for anyone unprepared and/or timid.

Last edited:

65prcfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I should have clarified in my OP that I am new to Tulsa and Oklahoma, so I have no reference for Oklahoman food. I'm originally from the Eastern Shore of Maryland, so I grew up on seafood from the Chesapeake Bay. It's a rural area of farmers and watermen. I spent the last 10 years in San Diego between my Navy service and staying there because my parents retired out there. Needless to say, I have a fondness for Mexican food now.
for italian ,, try la roma its a little hole in the wall joint , but great italian (real) food 6027 s sheridan rd tulsa

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I second the vote for El Rio Verde, it is definitely legit Mexican food and very good. I have been there shortly after dark and although I wasn't bothered I was ready to deal with anyone if I had been. That said, it isn't the neighborhood to be in at night for anyone unprepared and/or timid.

All the good Mexican places are that way. (I work right down the road from El Rio Verde)

Latest posts

Top Bottom