Philly cheese steak ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Theyre all different, even in Philly. The differences are some use better ribeye meat; Cheezwhiz vs melted American or Provolone; the roll used; etcetc...

And half the places listed here dont even use ribeye meat. More likely roast beef which isn't the same.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nobody has answered.

What makes one philly cheese steak sandwich any better than the other?

They all use the same ingredients.

Main differences is cheese used and rolls used. I prefer my cheese steaks with steak, grilled onions, canned mushrooms, pepperoni, White American and sauce. This is called a "Tacks Special". They make their own rolls or used to. And they use "steak ums" of unknown variety.

They are located in Reading PA. I make the trip twice a year for beer n sandwichs, under the guise of seeing my wifes brother. Its justa ruse to eat a great version of a cheese steak.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After you've had the real thing in Philadelphia its gonna be hard to find on like that around here. There are some good subsitutes though. Had a buddy just get back from visiting there. He didn't bring me back a steak sammich but he did bring me a case of Yuengling. :D

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How to order a Philly Cheesesteak
When ordering a cheesesteak, the idea is to let the cashier know a.) that you would like a cheesesteak, b.) what type of cheese you want (American, Provolone or Cheez Whiz), and c.) whether or not you want fried onions. And you have to be as concise as possible while doing so.

Locals have become so adept at this practice that they basically have it down to three words: saying “one whiz with” to the person behind the counter means that you would like one cheesesteak [denoted by the “one”] with Cheez Whiz as your choice of cheese [denoted by the “whiz”] and with fried onions [denoted by the “with”].

Similarly, saying “one provolone without” would secure you a single cheesesteak [one] made with provolone cheese [provolone] and without fried onions [without]. And saying “three American with” will get you three cheesesteaks, each with American cheese and fried onions. Ok. Got it? Now go ahead and test out your ordering prowess for real.
http://www.visitphilly.com/itinerar...o-find-the-best-cheesesteaks-in-philadelphia/

Latest posts

Top Bottom