Somebody tried to steal my wheels, now I'm experiencing severe steering wheel shake.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drive a 2004 Silverado truck. A couple of weeks ago somebody tried to steal my wheels. I'm assuming it was when we were out, because other than that my truck is parked in a closed garage or the parking lot at work.

I discovered this one night when driving home (possibly the night it happened? I don't know) and noticing a slight wobble in my steering wheel. I pull over to make sure my tire isn't low and nothing is stuck in it, it's dark, but I don't see or feel anything. I knew my tread was getting low, so I assumed it could be from needing new tires soon.

The next morning on my way to work, the same wobble is there, so I assume I need tires sooner than I had thought. But on the way home, the wobble is noticably, and oddly, worse. When I pull into my neighborhood, I heard no noise, but all of a sudden it felt like I was driving with a completely flattened tire.

So I pull over and go to inspect my wheel again. I immediately notice it's not sitting straight. One of the six lug nuts is missing and 2 of them I was able to tighten by hand and there are hand prints allover my typically always clean wheels. I slowly drive home and put my truck up on jack stands in the garage, grab some extra lug nuts and a wrench. Then I notice that the missing lug nut was my locking lug nut, and gone with it is the entire lug. Before I even get pissed, I thank my lucky stars that my wheel didn't fall off while driving down the highway.

Fast forward until now. The lug has been replaced as well as the lug nuts, but I'm still experiencing a fairly strong wobble in my steering wheel when cruising between 58-65 mph. Half of the time, driving in a straight line I feel nothing, other times I feel a slight wobble. The wobble is exaggerated when braking anywhere in that range, and especially while taking right hand curves at highway speeds. I've lifted my truck up, spun the wheel to see if maybe it was bent from being driven on while not tightened down all the way, it checks out fine. I've removed it and spun the hub assembly to see if my rotor wobbles and grinds against the brake pad at any point, it seems to spin fine. I've looked for any broken links, popped out ball joints, and I've shaken several parts with my hands and nothing seems out of place or loose.

I'm ready to take it to the shop, but before I drop possibly serious money on this, I wanted to see if you guys have any suggestions for me, something to look at, spin, etc. Ask any questions if it'll help you give me a better suggestion. I'll try whatever, but I'm not going to drive around like this much longer before I take it in. I'm taking city roads at lower speeds until this is fixed. Not that I think it's not safe to be on the road, I'm trying to avoid making the situation worse.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pull the wheel back off and look at the countersinks that the lugnuts tighten into. Sounds like they are wallowed out. Or you lost a ball joint, tie rod or something from the vibration. If that's the case they were about to go anyway. Check your wheels first.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You said the lug stud was missing along with the locking lug nut? I highly doubt that was broken during a possible theft. What I have seen on a few chevy trucks and others with aftermarket wheels is the aftermarket wheels are not hub-centric, they rely on the lug nuts to center the wheel and carry the full load/weight.

The problem with that might be that the lug stud is designed to only hold the wheel tight to the hub, and maybe not totally designed to carry the load of the truck. This theory will be exaggerated with aftermarket wheels that are larger diameter and offset. A hub centric wheel distributes the load directly to the hub with the center hole and not the lug nuts/studs.

If you did it right and bought the hub centric adapters for the wheels then disregard what I said above. And I will still believe that maybe the lugnuts were never torqued properly causing them to fatigue, loosen and break.

Sixpounder77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't think anyone tried to steal my truck but:

My truck recently started this also, almost exactly. My steering wheel starts shaking @ about 40-45mph though. I also have a lug nut broke off. In addition to that I have 35" tires. I thought maybe I needed new ones so i took it in and the mechanic told me they needed to be rotated about every 6 months. (I've owned it about a year and had not done that.) He ran a hand over the tread and you could feel it wasn't quite "idk, even"

Anyway he rotated them said that should fix it and I gave him 20 bucks.

At first I think it did help (although I could still feel a little wobble) for a while. But it is getting worse again. So I'm not sure what to try next.

If you do figure it out please post it up, and if I get mine worked on I'll do the same.

Really sucks though.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on your truck, it's mileage, and how someone tried to steal the wheels you could have a few different options. 1. If they tried to pry at the locking lug they may have jammed something into the brake caliper. This would bend one of the slide pins that hold it on and cause this.
2. Again with the prying, you could now have a damaged wheel bearing. The problems you describe all match fairly well with this, but it happening due to the force that someone could apply with a tool is low chance.
lastly, I would be checking all of your bushings. Upper, lower, sway bar, etc. These are a VERY common cause of the type of wobble you are describing.

When you finally tack it down, you'll have to let us know what the answer was.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
besides all of the above....
a steering stabilizer failing can cause wobbles.
looks like a shock absorber attached to your tie rod assembly

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You said the lug stud was missing along with the locking lug nut? I highly doubt that was broken during a possible theft. What I have seen on a few chevy trucks and others with aftermarket wheels is the aftermarket wheels are not hub-centric, they rely on the lug nuts to center the wheel and carry the full load/weight.

The problem with that might be that the lug stud is designed to only hold the wheel tight to the hub, and maybe not totally designed to carry the load of the truck. This theory will be exaggerated with aftermarket wheels that are larger diameter and offset. A hub centric wheel distributes the load directly to the hub with the center hole and not the lug nuts/studs.

If you did it right and bought the hub centric adapters for the wheels then disregard what I said above. And I will still believe that maybe the lugnuts were never torqued properly causing them to fatigue, loosen and break.

They do not have hub centric adapters and I will look into adding these. The wheels come with the Regency package straight from the dealership and were not installed afterward.

I'm not necessarily thinking that the lug was snapped during the time of theft, but most likely somewhere on the road due to it being possibly and probably the only lug nut that was tightened to spec which was done by me when I rotated my tires a couple of months prior.

Thanks for the info!

Depending on your truck, it's mileage, and how someone tried to steal the wheels you could have a few different options. 1. If they tried to pry at the locking lug they may have jammed something into the brake caliper. This would bend one of the slide pins that hold it on and cause this.
2. Again with the prying, you could now have a damaged wheel bearing. The problems you describe all match fairly well with this, but it happening due to the force that someone could apply with a tool is low chance.
lastly, I would be checking all of your bushings. Upper, lower, sway bar, etc. These are a VERY common cause of the type of wobble you are describing.

When you finally tack it down, you'll have to let us know what the answer was.

I'm guessing they tried to steal them by simply removing the lug nuts, got to the locking lug and determined they didn't have time to rinse and repeat for the remaining 3 wheels, since I always park in the light and I haven't gone to any shady places, so there was probably always somebody around. I do not have damage to the wheels, either. But I will be tearing down this part of my truck this weekend and I will comb through everything once again.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and am open to anything else you guys might have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom