Underground tornado shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We put in a GroundZero after moving here. It look like the one in the previous photo and it's in the small side of our 3 car garage. We have been perfectly satisfied with it but it was not my first choice. I wanted an outdoor one in the back yard. It would have been about $1K less expensive at that time but that's not the reason I wanted it. I don't think I would want to be in ours if there was a house or car fire just above it. The wife always wins out, of course.

I've often thought of a damaged car with a leaking fuel tank above me, but at the same time - running outside with my wife and two terrified kids in golf-ball sized hail and driving rain, with the potential (if you're alerted late) of glass, sheet metal, etc., blowing around at EF3 speeds wouldn't work, either. This way we stay high & dry on the way to the shelter. If it's apparent that we'll actually need to use it, the car is going out anyway; let the 'nado have it. I think you made the right choice.

Tom's Thumb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I wonder if this type of improvement has any effect on the resell vale of your home later on?

As a former realtor, my experience is that it does not. It may add to the attractiveness of a home but it does not add to the value of the home. It's like putting mag wheels on your car. They dress it up but the value doesn't change.

A home's value is determined by square footage and what surrounding houses have sold for recently. That's it. The prospective client looks at the square footage and the price per square foot relative to neighboring houses.

I've seen houses sit on the market for years because their owners were trying to recover their upgrades. The market just doesn't work like that.

I actually looked at a house for myself that had a tornado shelter underground. The shelter was full of water. Given our soil here (very, very clayey), is that a problem?

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where'd you get that price?

Here....
http://www.flatsafe.com/ShelterModels/FRPComposite.aspx
We got ours for 3100.00
We got 100.00 off for paying cash...
It took them 4 hours to install, and be gone!!

They cleaned up ALL their mess too... Here are some pics

ai826.photobucket.com_albums_zz182_skunkwerksllc_DSC00035.jpg

ai826.photobucket.com_albums_zz182_skunkwerksllc_DSC00038.jpg

ai826.photobucket.com_albums_zz182_skunkwerksllc_DSC00041.jpg

ai826.photobucket.com_albums_zz182_skunkwerksllc_DSC00044.jpg

ai826.photobucket.com_albums_zz182_skunkwerksllc_DSC00043.jpg

ai826.photobucket.com_albums_zz182_skunkwerksllc_DSC00042.jpg

ai826.photobucket.com_albums_zz182_skunkwerksllc_DSC00045.jpg

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got one of the outdoors shelters about 3 feet off my back door. It is 5x7, but I know they make a 6x8 that feels quite a big larger. I've got it setup with a TV, antenna, light, fan, and a deep cycle battery to run everything. I even found a piece of thin carpet to put down so it is pretty comfortable. I think the total price was $1700 (6 years ago) for the shelter. It is piece of mind although after I bought it, we didn't use it for 2 years! It is nice to know it is there.

Thanks,

Alan

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks good, but I don't know where you would fit this gal.

"• We include a 2-TON HAND WENCH FOR EMERGENCY EXIT."

You'd need another shelter just for her :)

I also like the idea of using the garage ones to change my oil. My luck though the wife would stay parked on top of it until she was ready to let me out.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess worrying about a car being stuck on top of the door would apply to an outdoor shelter also.
Seen plenty of car picked up and tossed around outside.
Just sayin':anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom