Underground tornado shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.groundzeroshelters.com

My neighbors had the in-garage one put in recently. Looks well made and their's can hold up to 6 people I believe.

BTW- The company also has a service where they have your GPS coordinates and will come look for you after a tornado if they can't get ahold of you.
+1 my brother worked for ground zero for a year or so, he built hundreds and hundreds of these things. Made right here in oklahoma.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.groundzeroshelters.com

My neighbors had the in-garage one put in recently. Looks well made and their's can hold up to 6 people I believe.

BTW- The company also has a service where they have your GPS coordinates and will come look for you after a tornado if they can't get ahold of you.

Went with GroundZero last November, and am happy to have the peace of mind. Sits nice and flush to the garage floor, and the only concern I have is you can hear water "sloshing" under the unit when you move your feet back and forth on the shelter floor. They said that is normal, and if anything should happen it has a lifetime warranty so they'll come fix it. I've got no complaints, except for my kids always using it for a "fort". As was mentioned above, we now have "company" whenever things start to unravel, so if I had it to do over again I'd have gone with the larger unit. The one we have now is perfect for a family of 4, but can still fit several in an emergency. I also took advantage of the Tulsa State Fair price. $2800 installed for mine, and I think it was $3200 installed for the larger unit.

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a flatsafe put in the garage last January! I agree with the $3200 price. That is what I recall. They had it done in about 4 hours. Of course, that was the slow season! I am hoping since I put it in it will work to keep the storms away. We have not had to get in it yet! hoping tonight stays the same!!

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We put in a GroundZero after moving here. It look like the one in the previous photo and it's in the small side of our 3 car garage. We have been perfectly satisfied with it but it was not my first choice. I wanted an outdoor one in the back yard. It would have been about $1K less expensive at that time but that's not the reason I wanted it. I don't think I would want to be in ours if there was a house or car fire just above it. The wife always wins out, of course.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know of someone local who just sells the garage in-floor shelter units? Me and the guys at work are planning a tag team DIY install weekend(s) for our homes. We have the equipment and skill, just need the material.

Latest posts

Top Bottom