Underground tornado shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too did all the research and settled on Ground Zero. Here are pics of my Ground Zero shelter:

Mine is the biggest garage model rated at 10-12 people.

Been in it twice since install. It's an investment with the only return on it being the peace of mind that your wife and daughter will survive if a tornado comes.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too did all the research and settled on Ground Zero. Here are pics of my Ground Zero shelter:

Mine is the biggest garage model rated at 10-12 people.

Been in it twice since install. It's an investment with the only return on it being the peace of mind that your wife and daughter will survive if a tornado comes.

Nice! I noticed that the guy with the jackhammer was working in a puddle of water - did the hole fill up any more before they installed the shelter? Have you felt / heard that sloshing mentioned earlier in this thread?

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes they hit solid rock 9 inches from being finished. Took another 8 hours to break through that rock. They told me it was the hardest rock they have ever hit. They had to come back the next morning to pour the cement. It did get some water in it after they dug the hole. Was about 6 inches of water in the hole in the morning. They sucked it out and poured the concrete and used the vibrators to work in the concrete. Yes it had the sloshing feeling for about a month after install. Hasn't since. Shelter was installed on April 2nd in 2009.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After today's twisters, you guys think the .gov will be doing that rebate thing again for shelters like they did after the May 3rd?

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with Tornado safe and had it put in then had my garage tiled. Gives a good, finished look and it can be driven on...

ai29.photobucket.com_albums_c253_jasondcunningham_May2009100.jpg

Here is how it looks from a higher angle...with tile the lip is completey flush and flat:

ai29.photobucket.com_albums_c253_jasondcunningham_May2009106.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom