Uranium Glass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New stuff from eBay. I'm going to have ashtrays out the wazoo. Four ashtrays, a paperweight, a light switch cover and a little frog.

IMG_20230921_075302~2.jpg
IMG_20230921_075203~2.jpg
IMG_20230921_075127~2.jpg

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had met a gentleman in Tutle who collected Vaseline glass, he had thousands of pieces. His flowerbeds had chunks of vaseline glass instead of rocks or wood chips. I saw his collection and got to survey it with a geiger counter. Most of the pieces measured 2 to 3 times background count with a geiger counter, he had a few that measured 400 cpm (30 times background.) His whole house measured around 2 times background from the shear quantity of vaseline glass. It is not a hazardous amount of radiation. Most uranium glass is primarily a beta particle emitter and easily detected. I got into the collecting mode as well. I found a bowl at a garage sale that does not fluoresce but measures 5 X background. I suspect it has thorium in it to give it a gold color, but lacking gamma ray spectroscopy equipment I have no way of knowing for sure.

Most vaseline glass is a yellowish color that fluoresces electric green, however depending on how it is fired it can be blue or pink as well. If you really get into the hobby a cheap geiger counter ($100 on eBay or Amazon can help, as well as a cheap UV flashlight. Urban prospecting can be fun. Don't get me started on radium dialed watches and clocks...

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandma had oodles of this stuff. It was really beautiful. Nice collection you have going there, @AKguy1985 ...

Eta: you know I hate autocorrect. My grandma has been gone for 30+ years now ... I think I know which tense I need to use. 😡

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d like to see what it looks like NOT lit up. I’ve heard that the way to see if Depression Glass is real is to check it with a black light. Apparently it iridesces.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m some thing of a radioactive artifact collector myself. Here is a small part of my collection.

EC95C130-94CC-4178-B0D6-86936D4E9DD8.jpeg

The shot of the detector is my third spiciest item from the collection—a wristwatch with radium dials.

71A809E3-6D92-4395-9DA9-CA39BCEBD883.jpeg

The second spiciest object I have is a thorium ore sample that was “liberated“ from a spinthariscope. Don’t recall the μSv/h, but the CPM was about 212,000.

The spiciest thing in my collection is a group of large, loose watch dials that are absolutely COVERED in Undark radium and ready to wreck your friggin day if you get too close. I forget the μSv/h reading, but I remember the CPM was just shy of 260,000. Those get stored in a solid lead pig.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m some thing of a radioactive artifact collector myself. Here is a small part of my collection.

View attachment 473234

The shot of the detector is my third spiciest item from the collection—a wristwatch with radium dials.

View attachment 473233

The second spiciest object I have is a thorium ore sample that was “liberated“ from a spinthariscope. Don’t recall the μSv/h, but the CPM was about 212,000.

The spiciest thing in my collection is a group of large, loose watch dials that are absolutely COVERED in Undark radium and ready to wreck your friggin day if you get too close. I forget the μSv/h reading, but I remember the CPM was just shy of 260,000. Those get stored in a solid lead pig.
Nice collection!
20240425_093327.jpg

You know you've gone overboard when you get Sodium Iodide Scintillators, LErG scintillators and Pancake probes... You need the small gm counters when you go into thrift and antique stores else the staff looks at you funny...

Latest posts

Top Bottom