What do you think of the EPA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
China is a Sovereign nation. I imagine they can make their own laws and set their own standards. Once they boot out American companies, then maybe we can enter into a treaty with them.

The way it stands now is, we are allowing American Corporations to skirt our laws and treaties by going to China to pollute the Planet and contaminate their country.

Sounds like a EPA policy problem to me. They should have anticipated everything you just outlined. That is the job of government officials; unfortunately our gubment officials are incompetent.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many people forget that Richard Nixon created the EPA, and nobody remembers how dirty the air and the water was back then

I think you are wrong on both counts but, frankly, that isn't relevant since I could argue easily that Nixon, while a foreign policy Hawk, was a domestic policy moderate (outside of law & order issues) or that he had no particular core principles on domestic policy except to use it to gain votes (hence wage and price controls, etc.). The EPA has grown enormously in scope and budget since it was formed. The real problem isn't the concept of wanting to have some mechanism for establishing clean air and water standards, it is the almost unchecked (at least without great difficulty) rule making power that Congress has granted to a quasi-Executive agency. Like any bureaucracy, the EPA, seeks additional self-perpetuating tasks and purposes. It is inevitable that each succeeding director and department head will seek to one-up the last by having more and/or more comprehensive regulations as well as seeking new areas to regulate in order to show progress in government terms. Thus we now have EPA rules that could easily have that one agency regulating every body of water in the US whether public or private and without regard to size or ecological importance.

The real danger is government run amok with few checks from the Executive or Legislative branch.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you are wrong on both counts but, frankly, that isn't relevant since I could argue easily that Nixon, while a foreign policy Hawk, was a domestic policy moderate (outside of law & order issues) or that he had no particular core principles on domestic policy except to use it to gain votes (hence wage and price controls, etc.). The EPA has grown enormously in scope and budget since it was formed. The real problem isn't the concept of wanting to have some mechanism for establishing clean air and water standards, it is the almost unchecked (at least without great difficulty) rule making power that Congress has granted to a quasi-Executive agency. Like any bureaucracy, the EPA, seeks additional self-perpetuating tasks and purposes. It is inevitable that each succeeding director and department head will seek to one-up the last by having more and/or more comprehensive regulations as well as seeking new areas to regulate in order to show progress in government terms. Thus we now have EPA rules that could easily have that one agency regulating every body of water in the US whether public or private and without regard to size or ecological importance.

The real danger is government run amok with few checks from the Executive or Legislative branch.
Somebody has to be the turd in the punch bowl. Better you than me. The EPA is going to be looking into somebody's credentials.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The EPA has grown enormously in scope and budget since it was formed. The real problem isn't the concept of wanting to have some mechanism for establishing clean air and water standards, it is the almost unchecked (at least without great difficulty) rule making power that Congress has granted to a quasi-Executive agency. Like any bureaucracy, the EPA, seeks additional self-perpetuating tasks and purposes. It is inevitable that each succeeding director and department head will seek to one-up the last by having more and/or more comprehensive regulations as well as seeking new areas to regulate in order to show progress in government terms. Thus we now have EPA rules that could easily have that one agency regulating every body of water in the US whether public or private and without regard to size or ecological importance.

Nailed it!

I know that they have gotten Diesel engines so screwed up with emissions controls that they are getting god awful mileage thus burning more FF, which I fail to see the benefit to the environment.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Necessary Evil for sure. I prefer my water clean and stocked with fish. Instead of on Fire. Really hard to breath air full of pollutants, just ask the former residents of Pryor, OK. If you can find many still alive that is.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
It won't be long before the government will be the only ones producing food and energy. Or the cost of the two will be astronomical.
The EPA is being run or directed by radicals that would be happy with either option.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, they have overstepped their original purpose. They are a necessary evil to keep large scale pollution at bay but they have gone way beyond that level.

Latest posts

Top Bottom