Got in a wreck tonight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt think they had to issue a citation???

If an officer investigates an accident, someone WILL always get a citation. Once it is determined who is at fault. You can fight it, but in that instance they will say you were following too close...Regardless if he slammed on his brakes...you are "supposed" to be in control of your vehicle at all times. If it was inclement weather, it would have been speed too fast for conditions....You can blame insurance companies for this. They are the ONLY reason police work wrecks....but in my PROFESSIONAL opinion, you should ALWAYS call the police for a wreck....just to cover your but....sorry it happened though

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My mom was in a wreck almost like that. It was in about the same exact place too. Rush hour traffic jam, car abruptly changes lanes, car behind that slams on brakes, mom slams on brakes but hits the car in front of her, then she gets rear ended, and that car got rear ended. The a$$hat that changed lanes hauled a$$ down the shoulder and got away. Everyone saw it and had the same story. The OHP said he really didn't have any choice but to write everyone tickets for following to closely except for the lead car in the actual pileup. He said that he knew it wasn't their fault really, but several folks got rear ended so???? :anyone: This was a few years ago so maybe it's changed now..

That really sucks hope you get back on the road soon.

prophet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My mom was in a wreck almost like that. It was in about the same exact place too. Rush hour traffic jam, car abruptly changes lanes, car behind that slams on brakes, mom slams on brakes but hits the car in front of her, then she gets rear ended, and that car got rear ended. The a$$hat that changed lanes hauled a$$ down the shoulder and got away. Everyone saw it and had the same story. The OHP said he really didn't have any choice but to write everyone tickets for following to closely except for the lead car in the actual pileup. He said that he knew it wasn't their fault really, but several folks got rear ended so???? :anyone: This was a few years ago so maybe it's changed now..

That really sucks hope you get back on the road soon.

My dad was the last car in a wreck similar to that and ohp said it was a no fault accident. Depends on the officer i guess:anyone:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If an officer investigates an accident, someone WILL always get a citation. Once it is determined who is at fault. You can fight it.... If it was inclement weather, it would have been speed too fast for conditions.

I had an accident in 2001 on ice. Single-car accident, nobody within 1/2 a mile of me. The officer wrote me a ticket, saying that if he didn't, "[his] supervisor would want to know why not."

That's a bogus reason for a ticket, and I wrote a letter of complaint to the state supreme court over it. Never did hear back, but citations should be issued for suspected violations of the law, not because your boss will ask questions.

Oh, and for the record, I did fight it. DA dismissed it on the spot. Turns out there's Oklahoma Supreme Court caselaw stating specifically that "the mere fact than an accident occurred is not proof that there was a violation." I can look up the case if need be. Just seems to reinforce the idea that the ticket was bogus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom