Good Day at Red Castle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since the weather was near perfect today, I decided to take a couple of days off of work. I went to Red Castle this morning and shot the best group of my life. 600 yards prone, off a bipod and rear sandbag.

This was the more of the norm:

Not a bad day.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice shooting! I assume you were at the high-power steel silhouette range. Was there anyone else on the firing line with you? Seems like every time I go there with a pistol, the high-power range is empty but the pistol range is packed, and if I take a rifle, it's the other way around.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice shooting! I assume you were at the high-power steel silhouette range. Was there anyone else on the firing line with you? Seems like every time I go there with a pistol, the high-power range is empty but the pistol range is packed, and if I take a rifle, it's the other way around.

No one. I went this last Saturday and today and had the whole range to myself. I loved it!

I always bring a .22 to shoot in case there is someone shooting silhouette or using the hi power target. I use the time to practice my trigger control and breathing.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lucky sucker to have a range near you to do that,,,and even luckier to have the skill and equipment to do that.

When you shoot off the bipod do you push the gun forward to allow the bipod some travel, or is the gun pulled tight against the travel..???

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lucky sucker to have a range near you to do that,,,and even luckier to have the skill and equipment to do that.

When you shoot off the bipod do you push the gun forward to allow the bipod some travel, or is the gun pulled tight against the travel..???

I am incredibly fortunate to have a range like Red Castle so close!

I always point the muzzle down and push the bipod back in forth in the ground to make a 'divet'. I then get behind the rifle and push fairly hard forward so that the bipod is preloaded and the rifle is tight into my shoulder. This helps you when you are trying to achieve a natural point of aim and consistency in groups.

I have tried free recoil or loosely holding the rifle and have never had very good results with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom