Travel trailers/Toy haulers ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have had two of them. To haul Polaris Rzr's, Four Wheelers and Rhino's. They are nasty. We went back to a Fifth Wheel and pull the toys on a trailer behind it, keeps the rv cleaner, smells better etc. etc. Now if I was hauling a motorcycle, might be different. But off road toys get muddy, nasty and smelly.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't have a toy hauler, and one reason has been stated by Mr. Glock. However, the wife and I do live in a 38.5-foot fifth wheel.

As for towing, look into the weight capacities of your truck before buying a trailer. In other words, don't buy a trailer that will overload the truck. DON'T EVER believe a salesman (truck or RV salesmen) as to whether your truck is big enough. Some of them will tell you anything to get you to buy.

Now, if you don't have a truck at all, then choose the trailer you want to have and look at it's Gross Vehicular Weight Rating (GVWR) and use that as a basis for choosing. The two important weights to consider is the truck's Gross Combined Vehicular Weight (GCVW) and the rear axle's Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR). One doesn't want to exceed either of those two weights.

As for us, our fifth wheel home has a GVWR of 18,500 lbs and we tow it with a Ford F450, although an F350/3500 series truck still might be able to safely handle that weight. I just like having more truck than I need than have more trailer than my truck can safely handle.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

As for towing, look into the weight capacities of your truck before buying a trailer. In other words, don't buy a trailer that will overload the truck. DON'T EVER believe a salesman (truck or RV salesmen) as to whether your truck is big enough. Some of them will tell you anything to get you to buy.

]

Words to live by. My buddy's parents bought a 3/4 ton, with a big gas engine, and thought it would keep up with their friends that owned diesels pulling the same size trailer with one tons.

Worked OK in Okla flat lands, but when they went to Colorado, the reality's kicked in.

Gebrown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ram 1500 with the Hemi, I've been doing research for how much it can haul. It's lifted with 35s, I'm not sure if that changes things.
I did notice our RV sales person was optimistic about what the truck can haul, however, I still remain sceptic. I'm looking for a key word, safely, what can I safely haul.
We're looking at a Salem travel trailer, I believe it weighed in at 5900 lbs and potentially a toy hauler, we're still looking. Next time I'll write down weights etc, yesterday was a hey, we're out and interested lets stop by and take a look.
I really like my truck so I don't want to trade it. Another thing, if I did trade it for a 2500 then decide we don't like the RV thing, now I'm out all that money and traded my truck. That's why I was wondering if anyone has gone the RV route and regretted it.
Ours would be for traveling and camping, Grand Canyon etc. and when we visit family with no dog accommodations, we take our dogs with us when we travel.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say Gebrown if your wanting to go with the Toy Hauler and your truck you have. I would opt for a bumper pull and probably not go over 22 feet. Work and Play is a good brand of Toy Hauler, they are built on the platform of a enclosed car hauler and are good and stout. There are a couple others out there that are built stout. The ones that are on a regular RV frame are very lightweight when it comes to loading them down with ATV's and such. Good Luck in your Hunt. I am out in Choctaw as well and am set up to pull fifth wheels and such. If you need one pulled home till you can get a hitch installed, holler I can help.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing, let's say your Dodge is rated for 9000 pounds. I venture to say that you will not enjoy hauling 9000 pounds of weight behind it. I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff, but I don't like towing any more than 50% of the vehicles rated capacity. I've got a 25 foot bumper pull that weighs around 4000 (probably closer to 5000 when it's packed for a trip) and tow it with a 1/2 ton 2012 Chevy. It does fine, but I wouldn't want any more weight back there. Wheelbase is another factor. A short wheelbase will not tow as good as a long wheelbase truck.

I've pulled an older 25 foot camper with an S-10 Blazer. It's not fun when you're on the Interstate doing 65 and a tractor trailer rig passes you. The air displaced by the truck will push your trailer toward the edge, then suck it back toward the center. Scared the piss out of me the first time or two it happened. My new rig still does the same thing, but not nearly as bad. The longer wheelbase really helps.

One last piece of advise, don't scrimp on hitches. Get the best weight distributing, sway control hitch you can afford.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ram 1500 with the Hemi, I've been doing research for how much it can haul. It's lifted with 35s, I'm not sure if that changes things.
I did notice our RV sales person was optimistic about what the truck can haul, however, I still remain sceptic. I'm looking for a key word, safely, what can I safely haul.
We're looking at a Salem travel trailer, I believe it weighed in at 5900 lbs and potentially a toy hauler, we're still looking. Next time I'll write down weights etc, yesterday was a hey, we're out and interested lets stop by and take a look.
I really like my truck so I don't want to trade it. Another thing, if I did trade it for a 2500 then decide we don't like the RV thing, now I'm out all that money and traded my truck. That's why I was wondering if anyone has gone the RV route and regretted it.
Ours would be for traveling and camping, Grand Canyon etc. and when we visit family with no dog accommodations, we take our dogs with us when we travel.

Don't know what "35's" are, but if it may not make any difference with the towing. I'd suggest going by your dealership and having them look at the data plate at the door. That info includes the rear axle ratio. With the right information, they can tell you what your pickup is rated to tow. Do not let them try to sell you on the rated "towing weight." I can assure one that if I hauled a trailer as heavy as my F450's tow rating is, I would be over on GAWR and maybe over on GCVW as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom