Fitness accountability thread?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TK, did you ever get rid of the plantar fasciitis that was giving you trouble last summer? If so, I'd like to know if you have any suggestions for it. I fought it in my right foot for a year and a half, was pretty good for about a month after July RNG, and now I've got it in my left...

That sounds about right. I ended up running minimalist (losing inserts, going barefoot as much as possible, running in sandals). I started sorta slow, most folks start by walking a lot. I found muscles in my feet I didn't know existed, and running minimalist means your form will change, so if you try it, get ready for some sore calves. My pain is still there but reduced 85% - if I stretch for a few seconds when I first wake up, I'm good to go. Before I could barely walk the morning after a run.
I highly recommend reading "Born to Run" - it goes into a lot of detail about foot mechanics, and is a thrilling read if you like racing. (and a bit of history)

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I highly recommend reading "Born to Run" - it goes into a lot of detail about foot mechanics, and is a thrilling read if you like racing. (and a bit of history)

X1000. One of the best books I've ever read. It motivated me to run barefooted last summer and i loved it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TK, did you ever get rid of the plantar fasciitis that was giving you trouble last summer? If so, I'd like to know if you have any suggestions for it. I fought it in my right foot for a year and a half, was pretty good for about a month after July RNG, and now I've got it in my left...

When I started running I had some issues with PF.

To help I'd suggest rolling your bare foot on a golf ball. It can hurt really bad at times, but it certainly helps. Another thing to try would be to run your foot over a filled and frozen water bottle (smooth ones and ones with ridges have different feelings, in my experience).

What surfaces are you running on? If running on a track, the ground, or asphalt instead of concrete is an option, I'd suggest doing that. Concrete is typically around 10x harder than asphalt.

PF is typically attributed to running too much (this is subjective, and "too much" is different for all people and fitness levels) and/or running on hard surfaces.

Switching from running on only concrete to a mix of concrete and asphalt, combined with the golf ball/ frozen water bottle rolling above, helped me out last year. Now that I have a good mileage base built up, running on concrete doesn't bother me anymore.

Hope this helps.

osupoke

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. When I decided to try and get back in shape in spring 2013, I read "Born to Run" as well as "Tread Lightly," both excellent. I know I've made significant form improvements, and I feel like my gait is much lower impact now. I also have experimented with minimalist running; I may give that another go this spring.

I stretch a lot, especially my calves, and I grind my foot on a golf ball all the time. It helps for a minute...

Keen, no doubt you're right about the running surfaces. Unfortunately, the only "track" I have ready access to is concrete.

I'm sure I'll finally shake it in my left like I finally did in my right, but it's getting frustrating. It's sure hard to stay in any kind of shape!

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im on week 3 and everything is going well accept...I couldnt do an Olympic style squat to save my f*cking life and it pisses me off. too many years doing a powerlifting style, low bar, wide stance, parallel depth garbage. My heels come up every stinkin time. Im wearing elevated heel oly shoes and when I hit max depth they just shoot off the ground.

I would try to get serious about oly lifting in the past and if you cant squat a$$ to grass with an erect spine and a solid base then you just cannot progress in the clean or snatch...which I have never been able to do. More stretching, I guess :anyone:

Last edited by a moderator:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My coach recommends flat shoes for squat and DL...even barefoot. Those elevated heels might be messing you up. Try it without them maybe?

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barefoot is just as bad or worse. Its unbelievable really. Doing snatch pulls today and have no issues because im able to start at depth and pull my heels down into position. Ive watched numerous oly mobility vids, read books and articles...just a huge huge weak point of mine that annoys me to no end.

Latest posts

Top Bottom