Fitness accountability thread?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've finally started trying to add in some speed work to my running.

The first mile of my usual route puts me at an intersection: going left is hill about .1 mile long with maybe 20' of elevation gain. Going straight is a hill about .15 miles and a little more elevation gain.

Ran up the little hill, walked down, ran up the bigger hill, walked/jogged down. Repeated 5x (just over 2 miles total distance), paced at about 4:45-5:15 per mile for each uphill.

I'm planning on doing this (or a variation thereof) for my first run each week going forward.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4:45 to 5:15 minutes per mile?
I was running those paces during the uphills, not entire miles at that pace (I wish!).

From checking the run online it looks like the shorter sprints were around 24 seconds long (give or take a couple seconds), while the longer sprints were around 36 seconds long (give or take a couples seconds).

The longer sprints really showed me that I need to work on my arm strength.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've finally started trying to add in some speed work to my running.

been working on that too. twice a week I've been doing a heavy leg press (~90% of 1rm) followed by an immediate sprint (about 90-100yards). I do 7 sets. I wish I had a squat rack next to the track, but the leg press will do for now. still getting 1-2 long runs (6-7 miles) in each week.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ran four miles at park. (was planning on six, but my dog removed his splint and I had to rewrap it first!)

Beautiful weather - may it be the same on the 29th/30th.

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sunday: 10 mile run
Monday: 4 mile run with 10# weight vest followed by heavy back squats.
Tuesday: strict presses, jump rope and snatches
Yesterday: 7 mile run then headstand/handstand practice followed by rowing, box jumps, and planks.

I'm trying to maintain 3 or 4 days a week of crossfit along with training for the OKC marathon. So far so good but the marathon training is just starting. It will probably get tough when weekly mileage bumps up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom