2015 Controlled Hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My two questions...............

Lol I guess mine was 2 questions also. But the bottom 5 (#2.) are the ones I was thinking were the ones that mattered.

What I thought was a joke, they asked if you saw the ODWC on Pininterest, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, but don't even ask if you use those avenues.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A comment section would have been nice.............not sure if Surveymonkey is capable of that though. Somebody would have to read each one then, instead of just gathering the survey info.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A comment section would have been nice.............not sure if Surveymonkey is capable of that though. Somebody would have to read each one then, instead of just gathering the survey info.

With a month and a half before the drawing results are out, I wouldn't want to complicate things further. :-)

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah same two questions. Really don't understand what intel a short simple survey will give them. I only apply for a few deer hunts (trophy areas) because it doesn't cost anymore after I apply for speed goat and elk.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I got the survey as well. I don't believe the ODWC is all that interested in what folks think.

If you've ever been to any of those public meetings where you can discuss possible changes etc.....................you'd understand even more why that my be the case. There's some pretty radical ideas out there, and they want them implemented overnight usually. Major thing that I wish would happen with the Wildlife Commissioners, is that every 5 years or so, they would go over every aspect of the regulations:
-are they up to date
-are they comparable to our surrounding states, and if not, is it justified with conservation data, etc........
-when there is a regulation change, or bag limit change..........I wish they would post the reasoning behind it. For example, why did the entire state have to start checking in turkey this year? Is the Rio population declining? It's not a big deal to check one in, just wondering why.

-I'd like to see in print, what the Wildlife Commissioners are able to change...........and what must be changed by a bill passed through OK congress. That way, people would know how to approach for change if wanted/needed. I know for the most part what has to be changed by law, and what is to be changed by the commissioners, but most people don't.

I worked with some other guys on a bill for some trapping reg changes this last spring. It was an eye opener. It's possible to listen in on the special committees on both the House and Senate sides. Before voting on the bill in special committee, sometimes there was discussion, sometimes none, sometimes discussion would start and they'd stray off on some tangent until the Rep/Senator presenting the bill would get them back on track.........................

One of the proposals this year was to allow blood tracking dogs on a leash to help find a wounded deer. It didn't pass of course. I caught part of that committee discussion while waiting to hear other discussion. One of the senators/Reps was livid about "I don't want to be sitting my tree stand and having some guy walking back and forth with a dog ruining my hunt." Like that would happen.....??????
If they were looking for a deer without a dog, they'd be in there anyway............. oh well.

Like I said above, it was any eye opener........and I found out that as much as we like to hunt, fish, and trap in OK............there's a whole lot of people against us, a whole lot of people who'd like to see it all done away with, a whole lot of people who gripe about the regs/laws and do nothing about getting it changed, and that social media can be more of an enemy than a friend when it comes to relaxing hunting/trapping regs and bag limits. The anti groups see the conversations.............and then come together and lobby against what you're trying to change.............and there's a whole lot more of them, than there are of us.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to go to the meetings every year. Even took a bunch of Scouts one year. (helped them get their "citizenship" badge)

Each and every meeting was the same - regardless of the topic, regardless of public opinion, the proposed ODWC changes happened as if 100% of the citizenry wanted it. Nothing unique about politics, whether game-related or not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom