Controlled hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome country up there. I had to attend a 2 week school up there in the 90’s in Springfield Vermont, across the river from New Hampshire.
Middle weekend got to drive the rental car around there and up into Maine.
That could be a tough recovery if getting a moose. Rugged country.
My cousin is a healthy young strong man, he can carry a moose for a mile…lol I hope

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Noticed they moved all the Wichita NWR elk hunts except one to walk in only! Makes it tough for people to get drawn that can’t physically pack out an animal on their own!
It was like that last year too. Put all the guys who have 20 points or more in the pot for half the tags, but they didn't mention they were going to reduce the traditional elk hunt permits by half lol.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What happened to Tenkiller COE?
Used to be mobility-impaired, then a youth hunt.

I used to hunt that area when it was open to the public, if they aren't using it for controlled hunts they should give access again. We pay for it.
Same with the MCAAP turkey hunt, it's not offered this year either and it was literally the only location with any success on the turkey hunts last year iirc.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll put in again ... but only for the elk hunt. I'm right there with Dennis and @Okie4570 . Maxed out on points (I'm also short one for some reason), been applying as long as I can remember. I've drawn several deer hunts, so I'm thankful for that. But that damn elk ... If'n I ever do draw in (in other words, if I live long enough), I'll have to have some really good able bodied help with me!
If you do live long enough and draw a hunt the staff there help out with gutting and getting the elk out and then there are people who show up just for the opportunity to help out.

Birdistheword

Marksman
Reaction score
They start Monday. Who is applying?

I am but don't expect to get drawn again.
I apply every year. I hunt mostly public anyway but these hunts keep my skills sharp and force me to learn new areas. I pick based partly on places I think would be cool. Got sans bois last year and it kicked my butt. I did pull the elk several years ago on not very many points and hope to get the deer hunt there one year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom