1.9 billion dollar school bond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I vote NO on anything for schools until they show they’ve earned it. I think teacher pay should be linked to student performance. We are ranked 38th in teacher pay and 49th in student performance. No more until performance equals or exceeds pay ranking

Sounds reasonable until you learn that many classrooms are too crowded and a single teacher can't give everyone (of the 25-30 students) the attention needed if they're having problems. Especially when the special education programs aren't functioning as intended and the students who need those services are put in a regular classroom. They struggle with many things and can often disrupt the class.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These are the types of things that really turn people off when it comes to school bonds.

In one dire example, Douglass High School fails to educate 99 percent of its students. Only .9 percent of the students there are proficient—one out of every 100. What are the District’s priorities for the school? Two of the three bond projects are for athletics, including a new press box for the stadium.

At John Marshall High School, one in 20 students are proficient, but the District hopes to spend $15 million there to build a new stadium addition. Another $11.5 million is earmarked for the school for “a flexible space addition and athletic field renovations.” Perhaps the space is for instructional use, but even so, most of the funds for the school will have little or nothing to do with student learning. The list of bond projects goes on this way, with funding for several schools earmarked exclusively for athletics.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the school in the little town here is almost all mexican now. even though the school lunch program isn't free, only two children pay for their lunch and the school serves breakfast and some other meals for the people who want to eat for free. amongst other things. i will not vote for another school bond until this mess gets sorted out. i hope we get the voucher system in oklahoma so that parents can spend their tax money in the school of their choice.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does that happen for other bonds when passed?

I don't know. Back in the '80's when I was a school board member, the state didn't, but who can say what has happened since then. Politicians can think of lots of detrimental stuff. That is why I asked the question.

Now, do you have an answer rather than answering my question with another question?

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know. Back in the '80's when I was a school board member, the state didn't, but who can say what has happened since then. Politicians can think of lots of detrimental stuff. That is why I asked the question.

Now, do you have an answer rather than answering my question with another question?
I think this for okc school district only

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
What pisses me of about this is back a few years ago we passed mapps to build and repair the schools we had , then a few years later they sold a bunch of schools we just paid to rebuild........... Now they want more money to build new schools........ Go fly a kite ya morons!! I guess they think we have smoked enough weed by now that no one remembers this crap! :grumble:

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When they start teaching them the 3 Rs, real science, social studies and history again, full time in real classrooms, then it might be worth it.
Agreed, back to the basics and leave your political, religion, sexual preference, gender confusion at home.

They need to audit the current budgets and fix the misappropriated money before they ask for more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom