.17hmr owners, worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Savage makes a thumbhole version with the accutrigger.

I didn't spring for the thumbhole on mine though.

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn269_dustingaunder_Guns_20and_20Related_Rifles_rimfires003oa7.jpg

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hm, thanks for all the opinions. May be on my "short list", sounds like the hype is justified.

I'm certain the specimen on the shelf at this store is a Savage; it has a logo on the price tag.

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have both and for what you want them for they are about the same, as far as flatter shooting only by about 1.5 inches on a p-dog it does not matter, practical shooting means hitting what you aim at, and i have drop just as many p-dogs and rabbits with both. but that is why they make both, so to each his own.

but to be honest the best round for the money (for P-dog shooting) with no noise, no recoil and very fun to shoot is the 22 hornet, you can see the hit and man is it fun. If you hand load it you can push a 40 gr Ballistic tip at about 3000 FPS for about $9-10 per box of 50. i just converted a friend on one, when he shot a P-dog at a range of 421 (used a range finder).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to hit the sack, and I'll post pics later, but I LOVE my .17HMR. I have the savage w/laminated stock in stainless. Quite a few varmints have bit the dirt. All at 100 yds or less. I haven't got into the Pdogs yet. Just waiting for somebody to head that way with some hunting area that needs somebody to go along. Might have to take the .22-250, and the .223. Maybe the .243Wssm? Have guns...will kill varmints:D

GunJunkie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own two 17 HMR's both are Marlins one stainless and one blue,and absolutely love them, with mild wind i can soot five shot groups that are one ragged hole! Could not be more pleasant to shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom