.17hmr owners, worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i have both and for what you want them for they are about the same, as far as flatter shooting only by about 1.5 inches on a p-dog it does not matter, practical shooting means hitting what you aim at, and i have drop just as many p-dogs and rabbits with both. but that is why they make both, so to each his own.

but to be honest the best round for the money (for P-dog shooting) with no noise, no recoil and very fun to shoot is the 22 hornet, you can see the hit and man is it fun. If you hand load it you can push a 40 gr Ballistic tip at about 3000 FPS for about $9-10 per box of 50. i just converted a friend on one, when he shot a P-dog at a range of 421 (used a range finder).

The Hornet is a fantastic round. Never discount it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this is a squash I shot at 10 yds with a CCI 17 Grain .17HMR. The total penetration was 2 1/2 inches. It would screw up the brain of any coyote. or varmint. There is now a 20GR round that is more solid that is designed for bigger critters. It doesn't explode as quickly.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00630.jpg

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's mine. I love it! One of my favorites for sure. Yet to kill anything with it, but I'd like to! Target shooting with this thing is sooooo fun. Mine is the Savage thumb-hole version with accu-trigger.

afarm3.static.flickr.com_2111_2378310299_3671e0c33c_b.jpg

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many thanks for all the opinions. I've been "rediscovering" rimfire plinking lately so this seems right up my alley.

The stainless thumbhole Savage is exactly what I'm looking at, too. Er, that or the blued bull barrel with the normal stock. \

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I take that back... I think I blew up a turtle at a pond with it one day. It was too far to tell but the turtle never resurfaced. :D

I shot an opossum off of a tree trunk from about 30 yards with the CCI TNT 17gr bullets. tiny hole going it his head, hole a little smaller than a racket ball coming out. Basically the whole bottom side of his head was gone. DRT, I lol'd.

I've also killed probably 10 crows with those same bullets. They didn't do the same number on them though. Only about a thumb size exit wound on them, but they dead nonetheless. I love killing the critters with this thing. They're easy to hit and they don't suffer a bit.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both also. Actually I have three now, one will probably go up for sale very soon. The first I bought was a marlin in mach2, loved it. Then I picked up another marlin in HMR. Wow! Love them both. Recently got the Savage HMR with a thumb hole, lammy stock, and bull barrel as a gift. One word "Tackdriver"!

They are both great little rounds. Who would have thought you could neck down a 22lr or 22mag and get such a screamer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom