1911 Anyone?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Wilson with a 5" barrel uses a 17 # recoil spring and shock buffs. So far I have 700 rounds through it and the shock buff is still in very good shape. If the shock buff does not last at least 500 rounds you probably either have some sharp edges inside or you need a heavier recoil spring. There are some that don't like shock buffs because if they start coming apart they can cause a malfunction.

That's reason enough for me! :ooh2:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you get that fixed?

Here's a little link for you guys about the shock buffs... notice the name of the 2nd reply...

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=84004

Not yet. I'm pretty sure it's a combination of a very slightly loose extractor and/or my loads. The next match I shoot with it, I'm going to put in a 13lb spring and see if it helps (I'm pretty sure it will). If not I'm going to get the extractor tweaked by someone who knows how to do it. I've thought about having Olyeller just put in an Aftec, but damnit, a TRP ought to run as is!

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not yet. I'm pretty sure it's a combination of a very slightly loose extractor and/or my loads. The next match I shoot with it, I'm going to put in a 13lb spring and see if it helps (I'm pretty sure it will). If not I'm going to get the extractor tweaked by someone who knows how to do it. I've thought about having Olyeller just put in an Aftec, but damnit, a TRP ought to run as is!

Agreed.

I've looked at those aftecs... seems like a lot of complication for such a simple part... but I know a lot of people sware by them. I've just never tried one.

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you set up an Aftec properly it is a great set up....very reliable, and if it starts to lose tension just replace the springs for approximately $6 or whatever they are now :).
Barry

Latest posts

Top Bottom