1911 Anyone?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you sure you're not limp wristing it????

Oh come on now, somebody was going to say it eventually! I'm kidding of course. I think that recoil springs are a regular maintenance item on 1911's. My first 1911 was a beautiful SW1911PD that has since been sold to a good Friend of mine. If I were in the market for another 1911 it would be at the very top of my list.
Recoil springs are certainly routine maintenance on a 1911.

2500 rounds for Govt (5"), 1500 for Commander (4.25") and 500 for Officer (compact) are the general rule of thumb for recoil springs for optimum reliability.

It was either 16 or 18. I'd go 18 with +p loads and 16 with any other factory carry/defense load if it were me. If I ever carry mine I'll swap springs, the load I shoot is for competition only. So ya it's barely over major power factor and needs a lighter spring.

It was an 18 with a 23 lbs. mainspring.

Weak springs are the most common cause of malfunctions in a 1911.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this over on Wilson's site...

ashopwilsoncombat.com_images_2c.jpg

...which seems like a neat little thingie. Is the Shok-Buff do-dad really necessary? Also, the spring included is a 20# spring. Is that too heavy?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

LOL! Seriously, everything I've read says to stay away from them. I was and still am having some trouble with mine, which I believe is an extractor problem. I PM'd some pics to a member here that knows what he's talking about and the first question he asked me was "are you running a shock-buff?" So yes, you don't need it.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL! Seriously, everything I've read says to stay away from them. I was and still am having some trouble with mine, which I believe is an extractor problem. I PM'd some pics to a member here that knows what he's talking about and the first question he asked me was "are you running a shock-buff?" So yes, you don't need it.

Did you get that fixed?

Here's a little link for you guys about the shock buffs... notice the name of the 2nd reply...

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=84004

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw this over on Wilson's site...

ashopwilsoncombat.com_images_2c.jpg

...which seems like a neat little thingie. Is the Shok-Buff do-dad really necessary? Also, the spring included is a 20# spring. Is that too heavy?

My Wilson with a 5" barrel uses a 17 # recoil spring and shock buffs. So far I have 700 rounds through it and the shock buff is still in very good shape. If the shock buff does not last at least 500 rounds you probably either have some sharp edges inside or you need a heavier recoil spring. There are some that don't like shock buffs because if they start coming apart they can cause a malfunction.

Latest posts

Top Bottom