1911s TO AVOID.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh you don't want to start and internet furball at all , do you? ;)

As soon as someone posts a brands or model they don't like, you'll have fanboys piling on them saying "Gee, I've never had a bit of trouble out of mine!"

I'd recommend a trip over to 1911forum.com and check put all the brand specific sections. You'll find pluses and negatives on pretty much all the production guns, it's really dependent on what your budget is, what features you like and what you want the gun to do. Good luck!

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, it depends on what youre going to do with it.
Most I've had have done just fine, some better, some prettier.
And as was said ..kinda depends on budget, now you can save until you get "the one", or just buy budget, and shoot the crap out of it

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i had a pt1911 that would FTF and a caspian that failed to go into full battery. the caspian was an easy fix and never had a problem out of it again. glocktogo is right though, their are people online claiming to have 10,000+ rounds through a pt1911 without a single failure and obviously caspian 1911s have the potential to be the best of the best. For cheap 1911's i personally consider ruger's to be the absolute best bang for your buck...the quality and customer service backing you get out of the sr1911 is unbeatable in the $600 range...why would you spend $500 on a rock island or tuarus?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kinda in zghorner's camp. I consider the Ruger a great value and the lowest one on the totem pole I'd go with.

Whatever you get test it, and 100 rounds isn't a test. I had a Springfield Armory TRP, which I think everybody would agree is a pretty high quality gun that would choke on Remington Factory HB. But it would run all day and all night on Blazer Brass HB. As a matter of fact that's the only ammo it would run. Didn't matter whether it was the CM mag that came with it or the 6 Wilson 47Ds that I bought for it, it was just a jam-o-matic until I got the extractor tensioned properly. HB, 200SWC reloads, HP defensive factory or reloads, didn't matter. If you use it for defense or carry test the hell out of it. Several hundred rounds of the ammo you plan on carrying at a minimum.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The only 1911 I own is a RIA, so my vast expanse of knowledge ends there. The wife recently acquired an XDM. it is not a 1911 and does not belong in this thread. Same can be said for Glock.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd stay away from the three-inch guns. Timing is critical on all semi-autos, and three inch 1911s have very little room for error (no pun intended). While it can be done, it is very hard to make a 3 in. 1911 run correctly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom