Need Advice on Edger - Electric or Gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have an edger tool, all manual and it's a lot of work. Which means edging doesn't get done all summer in the heat. I don't have much to edge and it's hard to find one new that isn't a weedeater then you buy and edger attachment. (I got a walk behind string trimmer already).

Blah, blah, been looking at used ones. Never used an electric edger. Are they worth a damn? Trying to avoid another engine to maintain but I don't want to buy an electric one and it just make me mad.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All my neighbors run the green electric models, they do look handy, I am not sure the battery life is there but idk. I have a gas stihl that is bullet proof but is a gas motor to have mixed gas for and so on.

Pennyless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
All my neighbors run the green electric models, they do look handy, I am not sure the battery life is there but idk. I have a gas stihl that is bullet proof but is a gas motor to have mixed gas for and so on.
Yeah I really don't have much. I've looked at the Stihl but I really don't want to spend a lot of money on it right now (My wife and kids are doing that pretty good already).

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on how deep a groove you like. If you don't care then you can get a battery operated weed eater that has interchangeable ends. I have a Ryobi 40 Volt that you can change out the weed eater attachment for a edger attachment. It will do an adequate job but if you want and like that deep grove then a gas edger is the way to go. I have a McLane gas edger too that makes that nice deep grove.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Stihl stick edger works great. Just buy a can of the high octane gas/oil fuel to burn in it. I buy a new blade about every other year for it. Starts goods, chops a good looking groove next to the driveway/sidewalk.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'm different (Okay, no comments!). I don't care for the "groove" along my driveway and curb. I simply use my gas weedwhacker to do my edging. I run the cords parallel to the curb while walking on the street, and with a little practice you can trim the grass cleanly to the inside edge of the concrete. Looks like a brand new haircut from your favorite barber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom