1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

1911s TO AVOID.

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Evan1678, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox Sharpshooter

There's an old adage that basically says "the farther from the original you get, the less reliable". People say it definitely applies to 1911s.

My personal experience is consistent with that. I've owned a couple Kimbers (Officer size and Commander size, both aluminum frames). The Officer would fail to feed with roundnose; I no longer own it. The Commander works better, but does NOT like my semi wadcutter reloads, and proved it in glorious fashion at a USPSA match!

I also have a full size steel frame Springfield GI model. Guess how it runs? Flawlessly. Haven't tried the wadcutters yet, but that's coming.

2. udiablo

udiablo Sharpshooter

Had my Officer done by Earl House and Wayne Novak and it runs with no hiccups.

It also ran OK right out of the box, but I wanted to use Win BTs (this load is now the Win Ranger) +P+, so had them go through it, and I keep the same wilson mags with it.

It has been one of my daily carry weapons for several years (the other's a Wilson CQB).

Incidentally, I also have a G19 that is almost like new because it gets no use (and probably never will).

IMO, the Glocks are relatively foolproof and reliable, thus tend to be a good choice even for the dumb asses that don't know anything about weapons.

The 1911 is a fighting pistol that is a formidable & fearsome weapon in the hands of an experienced 1911 shooter.

Unfortunately some of the "clones" are junk. Unless you are getting a pistol from Wilson, Les Baer, or some other high-end maker, be very careful when buying any Colt-wannabe-clone (I am NOT a Kimber fan).

Years ago the Essex slides/frames were mostly junk. Some of the Chinese Norinco's exhibited high hardness, or unsuitable softness of some parts. The early Taurus clones had/have some problems. Kimber magazines may or may not work, etc., etc.

3. 68mustang

68mustang Sharpshooter

I personally think almost any 1911 that is close to the original 1911 in fit will perform fine. I have an armscore american classic 2 in stainless i love and it's been flawless. Even letting friends shoot it that limp wrist it. I've let same said friends shoot my glock 36 and have had stovepipes from them limp wristing it. I will say that mine had all upgraded internals so maybe that's why it's flawless.

4. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

This was just before Norinco started making (or, at least, importing) 1911s. I don't remember the name for sure, but I remember seeing glowing reviews of it a few years ago and thinking, "wasn't that a junk brand in the early '90s?"

5. Shootin 4 Fun

Shootin 4 Fun Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Most 1911 models will serve you well, but if my life depended on it, I'd choose a Hi Point over a Kimber.

6. JD8

JD8 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'll take my Norinco and Les Baer over your Hipoint. :D

7. Coded-Dude

Coded-Dude Sharpshooter

you can build your own starting at about $400 and going up to the costs of some of the top name brand customs(using their parts for the build).

8. aviator41

aviator41 Sharpshooter

Trying to kill the enemy with humor or just goin' gangsta style? Remember to hold it sideways and grab your crotch or it will jam.

9. MoBoost

MoBoost Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    After shooting USPSA for a few years, I tend to agree - there is always "something" with 1911s that makes it not go "boom"; considering that 10% of pistols are responsible for 90% of malfunctions - really opens your eyes (and we are taking about creme de la creme)

10. Shootin 4 Fun

Shootin 4 Fun Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    So are you putting Les and Norinco in the same class as Kimber?