1984: It's Not Just For Governments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How would you handle a request for access to your private accounts?

• Tell them to get stuffed.

Votes: 36 57.1%
  • Politely decline with no explanation.

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Decline with an explanation as to why.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other (post your response in the thread).

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree on all points. There's no expectation of privacy for things you post online, really. But I think it's asinine for employers to ask for passwords and the like. I don't have a Facebook.

Googe a screen name, piece together a name (especially if they use something like names and initials for various sites), google court records and assessors sites. 90 seconds or less, most times.

You shouldn't expect complete anonymity in the internet, ever. So be wise what you do and say as it can be found.

But at the same time, people sure like to recycle names, info, accounts etc.. (myself included). We seem to lost track of the complete facelessness we used to have online, and we now focus on having these images or personas we project online (this predates myspace or facebook or whatever). It's like when people try to define who "Anonymous" is. Well, they aren't a cohesive or organized group , per se They are simple individuals that deside on occasion to engage in similar activites. But they ain't a club. There's no membership or anything. Just some people who originally got together on a website used for sharing images.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crud!! I can't believe what I just found out about myself. I googled "TerryMiller" and found out I am a photographer, a graphic artist, a car dealer, an ex football player, an ambassador, a manager of a bible college, a realtor, a teen-aged band member, a body shop owner, and I own a trucking company in Klamath Falls, Oregon.

No wonder I don't have time to sign up for social media.

Guess I'd just have to tell a prospective employer that I must be too busy to work for them. Sorry.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a fairly unusual name, and there is some ******* that posts comments on Huffington Post, various other news sites, and car sites that either shares my name or is someone I pissed off in a past life trying spam my name across the net.

He may or may not be the guy in Florida that shares my name and is the boss at a large company and has a lot of past employees that don't like him ("he is a complete ass!"). So if you google my name it looks like I'm a disliked upper management guy at a company in Florida and I spend my spare time posting angry comments on Huffpost and car sites and whatnot.

/anecdote

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My name (and age even!) indicates I was a college baseball player and now own a dentistry practice in CA with my twin brother.

I WISH I was that guy.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to have a background check done when I took a job with Homeland Security. This was before myspace and facebook were really big, so nothing was ever asked. No way I would give passwords. I don't need your job that much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom