$20 an hour Minimum Wage coming to Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$20 an hour. They need it when gas is like this! San Diego/SoCal

gastodaysd.jpg

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What needs to happen is less government, but since we've already passed that option, let's look at it this way. Over simplified, but this is what happens.

Value of a dollar drops 50%.

Companies have to make more while paying more for hard goods. (steel, wood, water, etc...) Cost passed on to the consumer.

Each of the companies selling those goods are affected by the devaluation of the dollar, so they have had to increase prices.

Fuel prices go up due to devaluation, so EVERYTHING goes up, due to increased delivery/trucking costs. Cost passed on to the consumer.

Guess what doesn't go up in proportion to costs? Wages. Very few companies add in cost of living increases for base rates until the market forces them to compete. If Acme Widget can stay in business while paying increased supply costs, yet keep Joe Worker toiling for 2017 wages, he will.

Today's hiring market is a shock to those that remember a flooded job market of our youth. Companies are just now realizing that the human commodity price fluctuates just like everything else. It's actually been fun for me to observe this firsthand - corporate folks do not like the taste of 2023 medicine, but it is damn sure good for them.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone help me understand why this is only for restaurant workers?
Why not everyone?
What am I missing.
Only applies to chains with 60 franchises or more. I guess the thought is McDonald's can afford to pay a decent wage, Mom and Pop might not be able to afford as much.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$20 an hour. They need it when gas is like this! San Diego/SoCal

View attachment 414527

Exactly. People come in here complaining about the raising of the minimum wage while also complaining about their latest trip to the grocery store. The minimum wage was designed to be the minimum a person could make and survive. At $7.25/hr, no one can survive with the current cost of things. Even working 3 full time jobs. Then, if you take a look at a comparison of the cost of living from OKC to LA, that'll put it in a bit more of a perspective on why a $20/hr min wage is needed in CA. Almost 78% higher to live in LA vs OKC. Sure, you can always say "well just move out of that horrible liberal state, then things will all be better." Except, they won't, because the cost of living throughout the country has gone up. And I don't know if any of you have noticed, but it's not showing any signs of going down anytime soon.

If you look at the comparisons below, across the board almost everything is significantly more expensive in CA.

1696001472614.png

1696001593869.png

1696001618109.png

Then, if you compare rent rates in OKC from 2013 to 2022 you'll see a definite uptick in the cost just to continue living in OKC.

1696001922575.png

I swear, some of the people on this board seem to be stuck back in the old days when it was actually feasible to have a single income family with multiple kids, owning a house and actually go on vacations a couple times a year. And if you are lucky enough to have lived back then and smart enough to have made the proper financial investments to be able to coast through the rest of your lives without being affected by what the trying to make a living on minimum wage provide, then I'm happy for you. But just remember, time doesn't stand still and neither does inflation. The only thing that seems to stand still is the minimum wage and it has for 14 years, while the cost of living itself continues it's upward climb.

I would think that as many of the people on this board have children and grandchildren, that they would want the future to look brighter for them. H8ll, I don't have children and never will, I and my wife (luckily) make well above minimum wage and yet I believe that something definitely needs to be done to increase the livability in this country for future generations. Everyone wants the youth to "get out there and pull themselves up by their boot straps," but it seems like everyone also wants to keep them from having boot straps to begin with.

Aaron Aylworth

Marksman
Reaction score
In california, drop out and get your GED, straight to $20/hr lmao....
I went to a McDonalds the other day and they wouldn’t serve me at the counter. I had to go to a kiosk in Newcastle and order for myself if I was going to get an order placed. Can you imagine how frustrating it is going to be when you have to that to buy a $20 Big Mac? The people behind this stupidity don’t raise minimum wage they just raise the cost of everything else to make the $20 have the same spending weight as ours in OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom